Help With Ideas To Dress Up/finish - Anime Cake.

Decorating By LeckieAnne Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 3:49am by LeckieAnne

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:29am
post #1 of 10

It's been the longest week - anyhoo... I'm doing a cake for my friend's daughter's sweet 16 for Saturday - loosely based on this one from here:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1153268

Mine will only be 1 cake (no teirs) - 8" square (so it will be 8" tall cube). I've already made four anime character faces (so one per side). She wants it mostly pink/black. I want to do only buttercream (can't bear the thought of making any more fondant this week). I plan to write happy sweet 16 on the top, and thought I might make one of the corners the front (so it looks more like a diamond than a square).

I just cannot think of a way to "finish" the cake - the borders, etc. Has anyone seen a square cake with borders that might be cute to frame the characters or have any ideas? I've been stressing and searching cakes all week - and just can't come up with anything!! I think I'm just brain dead this week. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!!
LL

9 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 10

Your faces look awesome!!!!
I really like the bottom border in the original photo, it's pretty neat. You could duplicate the bottom border on the coners on the cake as well.

You do stirpes that are in orange in buttercream, they just might be a slitly different size. Just get a basketweave tip that only has the cruves on one side, turn it around an use the other.

Good Luck!! I know from looking at the faces, your cake will look great!!
thumbs_up.gif

LeckieAnne Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #3 of 10

Thank you. I didn't think of the basketweave tip. Good idea. Maybe I can do two or three "rows" and smooth with a small hot spatula to try to make the edges seem smooth. I think I'll do a black scroll of some kind on the edge.

Thanks again.

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 10

LeckieAnne,
I would like to make a cake for my grandson similar to that one and I never worked with color flow. Is that what you used making your faces? You did a great job on your faces.
Is your cake covered in fondant? Thanks for any advice.
Carleen

LeckieAnne Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you. Actually, my friend ended up putting off the party until next weekend due to rain. So I quick threw the cakes in the freezer (hadn't filled or frosted yet) - so I'll be finishing it end of this week.

I did do the faces with color flow. It's actually pretty easy to work with. I just found coloring book type pages of my characters - blew them up on my computer (or a copy machine) - traced them backward onto wax paper, then turn the wax paper over and made the faces on the clean side of the wax paper. I made two of each in case one breaks when I try to remove from the wax paper (that happens sometimes). I don't plan to use fondant on the cake - just buttercream. But I'll post a picture when I'm done.

LeckieAnne Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 10

This is what I ended up with...
LL

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 10

That turned out great!!! i bet she loved it!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:37am
post #8 of 10

thumbs_up.gif
That looks awesome!! Great job!! icon_smile.gif

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 3:38am
post #9 of 10

WOW Leckie, Great Job!!! I hope mine turns out half as good as that.
Carleen

LeckieAnne Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:49am
post #10 of 10

Thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%