Help!! Red Velvet Recipe

Baking By pinkbiz Updated 2 Jun 2013 , 12:01am by shanter

pinkbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbiz Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:50am
post #1 of 10

ok so i have never done red velvet cake but i have it on my list of flavors cause i personally like it and a client requested it!! he problem is all the recipes i find have buttermilk as one of their ingredients and its soo hard to find it here in my area! what should i do can i substitute with a regular milk o can milk? or does anyone have a recipe thats a lil different?? please help!
thanks

9 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 10

You can make buttermilk by adding X amounts of lemon juice to X amounts of milk. Let me see if I can find a article about that...

Here we go;
http://www.cdkitchen.com/features/tip/250/Buttermilk-Substitute

That was neat, I had never even heard of some of those.

Happy Baking,- Red Velvet is one of my favorites!! Yum icon_razz.gif

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 10

I have also added cour cream, 3 parts Vit D. milk to 1 part sour cream, when i have been in a pich and needed buttermilk fast.

dbax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbax Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 10

My buttercream recipe uses buttermilk and I am too cheap to buy buttermilk everytime I make cake, wasting what I don't use, just to go buy more for the next cake. I have always just added a couple tsps of vinegar to a cup of milk. But best not to use 1% or non-fat milk.

icon_smile.gif

jonahsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmommy Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 10

I have a really good red velvet cake recipe that I've used in a few cakes that I've decorated and it tastes really good too....and it doesn't use buttermilk

3 Layer Red velvet cake

Pre heat oven to 350

1 cup butter soft ( I use blue bonnet and it does just as good)
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
3Tbl cocoa
1/4 tsp baking soda
8 oz sour cream
2 tsp vanilla
2 oz (1/4 cup) red food coloring

Cream butter and add sugar until mixed well.
Then add eggs one at a time until well mixed.
In seperate bowl mix flour, cocoa, and baking soda together then add it to batter alternately with the sour cream.
Then add vanilla and food coloring (add coloring slowly on low speed to keep your walls from getting splattered. then put into 3 greased and floured 9' round pans or whatever you want to use and put in the oven for 18-20 mins

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 10

I bake a lot of RV cake, but not always several at the same time, so when I buy a quart of buttermilk, I measure it out in 1 cup containers and freeze the remainder. When I need a cup I just thaw it out. I do a lot of "Italian Cream Cakes" and that recipe uses 1 cup of buttermilk as well.
It beats pouring out the remainder of a quart! (Afer it has been froze it will look different than when it was not, just shake it up or stir it and it is fine)
LindaB

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 10

OR you could just doctor a boxed German chocolate cake mix.

love2chat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2chat Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 10

For all of you who helped me with the recipe for the RV cake and your interest I thank you. According to those who tasted it, it was wonderful!

jennyp1232002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennyp1232002 Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 10

AI want to keep this thread for a recipe. How do I save it?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 12:01am
post #10 of 10

You can have the thread in your "watched" list by clicking on "Subscribe" at the bottom of the page (under the last post). Then, as long as you are logged in, click on "Subscriptions" at the upper right of the page.

However, if you just want the recipe, you can select it, cut (Ctrl C), and paste (Ctrl V) into a text document (e.g., Word) and save it in a folder on your computer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%