My New (And Last?) Tattoo!!

Lounge By michellesArt Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 2:53am by sugarcheryl

michellesArt Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 34

i'm so excited i wasn't expecting to get this today but i did and it turned out just perfect!! icon_cool.gif i love it and the guy even said it would look better by my ankle and not where i origionally wanted it...years of experience behind him so of course not being a virgin i took his advice and look!! (if it works) i'm so happy!! icon_biggrin.gif this is my third and i think my last-it gets to be an expensive habit. anyone have tattoos!?

33 replies
mkolmar Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 34

I don't have any tats. I've wanted one for a VERY long time, about 16 years. I just am too picky and don't want anything on my body I don't love.
My DH has 3 of them I absolutely love them on him.

So what did you get?

YouTakeTheCake Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 34

Yes I actually have 8....... all of them can be covered up if needed however I work in an office that is very casual and because we don't really see the public face to face the owners of my company have no problem with me wearing sun dresses where you can see some of my tat's.........

I got my most recent Tat about 6 weeks ago on my back...it was designed by my 20 year old daughter and I love it...........

as far as it being my last....well I can't promise that icon_lol.gif

Here is a picture of my most recent one........would love to see a picture of yours!

Jackie
LL

KKC Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:31am
post #4 of 34

I have 5, my goal is ten...I had a tongue piercing for 2 years and lip piercing 3 weeks. They are an expensive habit. When u got ur first one did u say "Never again"? I said that and the tattoo artist said 'Everyone says that their first time but they'll be back because they are addicting'.....how right he was!!

vickymacd Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 34

Hi, Everyone,
Have a question, and this may be an old post, but what do you think?......
my husband passed away in February. I want to get a tatoo on the inside of my wrist of either just small writing (like inside of my wedding ring) or maybe a small heart with wings on the sides? I would put this where my watch wristband could cover it. My daughter who has 3 tats likes the idea, but I'm a little nervous about it. I'm 53. Am I too old for this? My husband will always be with me in heart, but what do you think?

AmyGonzalez Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 34

I have 3. My goal has always been 5, but I haven't gotten one in about 8 years. icon_sad.gif My husband doesn't really like tats, but he's ok with mine. They are really addicting! I have one on my ankle, it's small, of a flower, vines and hearts. I have one on the left side of my back of a tribal and a green dragon intertwined. It's pretty big, took 4 hours to complete. I have another one on the right side of my back of 2 hibiscus and a butterfly. It's the same size as the dragon, took 4 hours also. I would post a pic but I can't get a clear pic of them.

AmyGonzalez Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 34

vickymacd, you are never to old for a tat! Thats the cool thing about them, all of my tattoos have meaning behind them. If you want one go for it! Don't second guess yourself just do it, life is too short! icon_biggrin.gif

vickymacd Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 34

Amy,
You're right, but I want to make sure it's the right one! And it WILL have meaning, but also want to be able to cover it if needed. Thanks.

mkolmar Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:01am
post #9 of 34

vickymacd- My best friend lost her DH this past November (He was 29) She has a tat on the top of her right foot of 2 flowers, one pink-one blue, and then the slender leaves coming out from the flower. The great thing about it is until she tells you, you don't notice that the leaves form an R for Ryan. She and others like myself know what it stands for but she doesn't have to explain it if she doesn't want too because everyone says just what a pretty tat it is without realizing it forms an R. She likes it there because she can cover it up easily too. Sarah did say it hurt like tapedshut.gif though on the foot.

I say go for it!

vickymacd Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:10am
post #10 of 34

That sounds so pretty. I work at a restaurant and all the cooks have them (and most of the servers as well), and they all mean something to them. A lot of the young kids (cuz I'm so old!) have tributes to their grandparents. My daughter has a celtic cross as well as her soriority letters. I know as I serve a dish, the tat on my wrist would show which wouldn't bother me. I also know that on the inside of my wrist I would see it all the time too or cover with a watch. It's just finding the right one. I also don't want it to look like I slit my wrist!!

Ruby2uesday Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 34

I have 4! i LOVE my 1st one. and my last 3 are tat's i got while i was married to my ex so they all have meaning towards him, and unfortunatly i have to see them all the time. i have one on the top of my wrist that i have to cover with band-aids EVERY day for work! gets really old. and i can't put my hair up in a ponytail because of the one on the back of my neck which turned out bad anyway! good drawing, bad ink job! So i will eventually get that one covered up. Anyway, i still LOVE getting tatoos and even at the age of 31 i'd hope to get a full back. Wishful thinking maybe???

You're never to old! My mom was 55 when she got hers! the infinity snake, probably about the size of a quarter, but it means something to her, so she loves it! Just remember, get something that MEANS something to you, but that you KNOW you'll never regret and remember... PLACEMENT PLACEMENT PLACEMENT! lol

vickymacd Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 6:13pm
post #12 of 34

Meaning and placement! You're right. Those are the 2 most important things.

MichelleM77 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 8:59pm
post #13 of 34

My hubby has a lot of tattoos. He has both grandparents names tattooed on his forearm around a large cross, got our son's name tattooed when he was born, and got my name on his chest when we got married....among others (name of his band when he was younger, a band around his ankle, band around his arm, a large tribal looking bird on his back, etc.). He has them because I don't have the guts!

vickymacd, I think I would do the same thing to remind myself of my hubby. I would know it's there and only anyone else I chose to share it with, and I could touch that spot or look at it when I needed to etc.

McMama Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:03pm
post #14 of 34

I have 2. The first one I got 19 years ago - long before it became so popular. It's a small red rose. It had a lot of meaning then as I was starting a new life. I have another one on my ankle which is scripted letters. FTGFEMEMED A friend of mine is living with cancer and she signs her blog this way. It is from a song and means "fight the good fight every minute every moment every day". I love it as I think of her always. When people ask I always get to tell them about her.

My son got one on his upper arm when his daughter was born. It's her footprint with her name and birth date. It is so awesome. The nurses were so excited about it that they helped get a really good footprint for him to use.

Ruby2uesday Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 11:20pm
post #15 of 34

the one i have to cover on my wrist is a chinese symbol that means a lot to me, even though it is tributed to my ex while we were married. but when people ask what it means i tell them, 2 Tacos for a dollar! LOL they just look at me like i'm crazy!

and yes i know what it means... i researched it on multiple translation sites! LOL

vickymacd Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:49am
post #16 of 34

Are there sites to look at different tats? Or is this something you look for in the tat store for ideas? My daughter goes to a really good artist, but I have changed my mind on different ideas which makes me believe I haven't found the right one yet. But when I do, it'll be the one.

sueco Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 1:59am
post #17 of 34

I had been wanting a tattoo for years, and finally got one when I turned forty. My friend went with and got one, too. I must have looked at 10,000 different tattoos online until I found the one that I got. Unless you have something very specific in mind, or already have a picture of what you want, it's kind of like a "you'll know it when you see it" thing, like trying on wedding dresses and knowing which one is "The Dress" when you try it on. And believe me, it's true, that once you have one, you want another. I might get another one, even though my DH isn't into tats at all. My friend and I joked that we could get veins tattood on our legs so no one would know which were the real ones and which were tattoos!

Ruby2uesday Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

Are there sites to look at different tats? Or is this something you look for in the tat store for ideas? My daughter goes to a really good artist, but I have changed my mind on different ideas which makes me believe I haven't found the right one yet. But when I do, it'll be the one.

i just yahoo search Tattoo, or tattoo designs, or tattoo art etc... here's a couple websites

http://www.tattoodesign.com/gallery/index.php
http://www.tattoofinder.com/
http://browse.deviantart.com/designs/tattoos/#

EnjoyTheCake Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:27am
post #19 of 34

Interesting topic and I'd love to ask a few tattoo questions.

I'm a type 1 diabetic and I should wear a bracelet in case of emergency. But I HATE wearing stuff around my wrist. I've been thinking of getting a tattoo on the inside of my wrist to identify my diabetes. Since it will be with me my entire life and I undestand that EMS are trained to look for ID on bracelets, I thought this would be a good use for a tattoo.

What are your recommendations regarding this idea? Good idea? Bad idea? Should it be just text, or image as well?

antonia74 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:09am
post #20 of 34

I got my first one 8 years ago. I love breakfast! It's about 6" and it's on my lower back. Now I'm going to get two more...8 tiny cupcakes down my spine (my birthday is 08/08, it's my lucky number) and a gingerbread man with his head bitten off on my upper arm. icon_smile.gif I only want food tattoos on me, that's my thing.
LL

Ruby2uesday Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:35am
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

Interesting topic and I'd love to ask a few tattoo questions.

I'm a type 1 diabetic and I should wear a bracelet in case of emergency. But I HATE wearing stuff around my wrist. I've been thinking of getting a tattoo on the inside of my wrist to identify my diabetes. Since it will be with me my entire life and I undestand that EMS are trained to look for ID on bracelets, I thought this would be a good use for a tattoo.

What are your recommendations regarding this idea? Good idea? Bad idea? Should it be just text, or image as well?

I've been told that even when i got my son one of those rubber type bracelets that are all the thing now, for his Penicillin/Amox allergy that ems may not look at that since it's not the typical type of id for emergencies. i can't imagine them looking for a tattoo so i'm not to sure. I understand the ease of it, but i dont' think i'd do it. i'll have to ask my emt friend.

vickymacd Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:59am
post #22 of 34

Helen, I totally would not have thought you'd have a tatoo! and how cute is the egg one! I had to back away from the cupcake posting or "I" would have gotten a cupcake one as well!!

Ruby2uesday, thanks for the sites! Will check them out.

sueco, yes, you're right and that's why I haven't gotten one yet. The more I want one, and the idea in my head, the bigger it seems it's getting. I also want it on my inside wrist.

As far as the ID for medical reasons, that's an interesting idea! I think I'd actually call the firestation and ask their opinion if they would ever look. I doubt they would though. They wouldn't think of that. They'd be looking for a bracelet not a tat.

Andrea329 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:42pm
post #23 of 34

vickymacd-
You can also talk to the tatoo artist about your ideas and he can probably draw or suggest something for you.

I have 2 tats one on my lower back its tribal witha purple rose in the middle. I am going to add my kids name to it soon. The other is a moon on my lower hip.

vickymacd Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm
post #24 of 34

I watched 'Inked' last night and the artists were saying they prefer to have someone come in with their ideas all ready to go. It shows the customer has done their homework instead of just walking in so to speak.
Checked out the sites that were recommended and have a bunch of ideas saved, but I'm afraid my little tatoo is turning into a bigger one!

Ruby2uesday Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:

but I'm afraid my little tatoo is turning into a bigger one!

They always do my dear!!! icon_wink.gif

Carolynlovescake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:54am
post #26 of 34
Quote:

I watched 'Inked' last night and the artists were saying they prefer to have someone come in with their ideas all ready to go.

Depends on the artist I think. I have a friend who inks and loves to be able to help them come up with art that he created and the customer loves.

When I went in to get mine what I wanted and where was quickly redesigned to make it better and in a better location.

Thanks to breaking my ankle and there being a fresh surgical scar exactly where I wanted it to go I now have to rethink what I want to do.

Funny how I became attached to it being there and now any other place won't do.

I decided until I find a place for that piece of art my 2nd will be a cake/cupcake of some sort just above my ankle (inside of my leg). icon_lol.gif

frostingfairy Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 7:58pm
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Quote:

I have 2 tats one on my lower back its tribal witha purple rose in the middle. I am going to add my kids name to it soon. The other is a moon on my lower hip.

icon_eek.gif

That is too funny! I have a tribal tat with a purple rose in the middle on my lower back with my kids names on either side. It's the only piece of 'flash' I ever chose. AND I have a moon on my right hip!!! icon_redface.gif

All my tattoos are custom (save for the tribal, now I may have to alter that icon_lol.gif )...I've either drawn the design or worked it out with the artist...I've got a luna moth on my wrist and a large twining tree on my ankle which took 4 hours and hurt like icon_evil.gif But that's the only one that I minded. DH has 30+ tattoos and he cries and squeals and moans through every one. That's why men don't give birth icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

vickymacd Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:37am
post #28 of 34

I work with so many young kids that have tats but the funniest one was a girl who had an angel on each side of her rib cage from her pit down to her waist. Well, the goof got pregnant and so did the angels!!! Too funny.

I still haven't decided what design yet. When the kids go back to school, I'll decide then. Now you guys have me inspired to add my kids to the design. Now I'm rethinking everything. I originally wanted the saying on my wrist that's on my wedding ring. But then wanted a heart with wings. Maybe I might still go with that idea and maybe stars or something on either side of it to symbolize the kids. Hmmmm......

jules06 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 10:51am
post #29 of 34

I just got my first tattoo a couple of days ago....a turtle with the infinity love knot on the shell....roughly an inch & a half in size..just beside my caesar scar !!! icon_surprised.gif I didn't make a sound the whole time ( sitting in a room full of big tattooed men icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif ) but in my head - oww owww owww !!!!

I would like to get one on my lower back one day !! icon_biggrin.gif

Amanda518 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:24pm
post #30 of 34

I have one tattoo on my lower leg and it is a pretty good size its a fairy a sleep with a violin in her hand. I just liked it and wanted it and got it.. but some times wished I had got it in a different place. I am looking into getting another one but I am trying to figure out a design for it. my name is Amanda husband is Ramon and sons are Adrian and Robert.. so out family is all A's and R's so I say a really cool design that was just an a and r but I want it more girly. something with music notes or maybe some stars.. but its my family to be.. I am also not sure where I would get it Ive been thinking my upper foot then I am thinking inside my wrist.. it will not be a big tat only maybe 2or3 inches by 2or3 inches..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%