Fudge Frosting? Dark Chocolate Color

Baking By Katie-Bug Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 12:26pm by hellie0h

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 4

I have my traditional chocolate buttercream, it's butter, Hershery's cocoa, vanilla, p.s., and milk, it's really good but a light cocoa color.

I have a request for a dark fudge like colored frosting (an taste), but have no recipe for this. Any suggestions of really good dark colored frosting would be great!!

Thanks, Katie

3 replies
1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 4

have you tried the dark Hershey's cocoa? I used it recently and it makes a much darker color of brown and seemed more fudgy to me! It was yummy too!

melony1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melony1976 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 4

Do you know if the dark chocolate frosting will crust so that it can be smoothed?

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 4

I like to use cocoa powder (HERSHEY SPECIAL DARK) disolved in melted butter. To me, this gives a smooth and more dense chocolate flavor to buttercream icing.
This is actually a sub for unsweetened baking chocolate. Ratio is 3 tbsp. cocoa to 1 tbsp melted butter = 1 square of unsweetened chocolate.
As I normally don't do exact meausrements, I use approx. 1/2 cup of cocoa to half stick of melted butter for a regular size BC recipe. I add the melted choc. to whatever fat I am using, (hi-ratio, crisco/butter) whipping these together then add the ps and liquid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%