Help..i Need To Make A Checkerboard Pattern

Decorating By nrssmile7499 Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 2:24am by PinkZiab

nrssmile7499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrssmile7499 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 5

i am making a baby shower cake for my sister, i have the design in my head and have figured out most of it except how to create a checkerboard pattern. the cake is a teddy bear picnic, with her, me, our mom and the new baby being the bears on the blanket which needs to be red and white checked. anyone have any idea how to do this in fondant or any other medium, modeling chocolate maybe, i am dreading cutting all those squares and lining them up, i want the "blanket" to drape off the side of the cake. i am an novice cake chick, but i love the hobby. any advice, tips...anything would be helpful

THANKS!!!

4 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 5

i did a checkerboard pattern on the bathtub duck cake i made. you just use a square cutter and cut out the different colored fondant squares and place them side by side using fondant glue.

nrssmile7499 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:15am
post #3 of 5

THANK YOU!!
the cake is soo cute
square cutter? i was going to use a rotary cutter and a ruler? is there a tool that will cut a lot at once?

nrssmile7499 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:16am
post #4 of 5

square cutter? i was going to use a rotary cutter and a ruler? is there a tool that will cut a lot at once?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

is there a tool that will cut a lot at once?

You can get a multi-wheel cutter (usually 5 or 6 wheels) that is basically that many rotary cutters on an accordian frame so you can adjust the width and cut multiple strips of even widths at once. They're quite expensive though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%