Uk Cake Question/may Clee-Cadman's Book

Decorating By MichelleM77 Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 3:50pm by MichelleM77

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys. Just got this book from my mom, "Sweet and Simple Party Cakes" by May Clee-Cadman of Maisie Fantaisie. Love her designs, great ideas in the book, but what has me interested is the baking chart.

I love, love, love that she has a recipe for every size cake pan, but I wonder how accurate it is and if anyone has tried them. I'm assuming that where it says 5 oz of sugar, etc., that it's by weight, right?

Also, what is the texture of a sponge cake? I'm not sure I've ever had one. I do like a dense cake (was using the cake extender that has sour cream for box mixes, but now baking scratch). Is a UK sponge like an American pound cake? From her pictures of leveled cakes, it looks just like the dense cake I've been making, which is very buttery and yummy (the vanilla butter cake from Mermaid Bakery)! Maybe I'll just have to try a recipe since she gives the amounts for a 6" round. Too cool!

3 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:47am
post #2 of 4

Anybody?

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:54am
post #3 of 4

An American pound cake is similar to a UK "Madeira" cake - both are dense textured cakes.

UK spongecakes are just that, texture like a sponge from a high proportion of eggs and sugar whipped together, with a small amount of flour folded gently in...They are light and airy, not good for carving or for carrying the weight of fondant. They usually do not have a lot of fat in them because that would deflate the airy whipped eggs. Also similar to a French Genoise cake, typically moistened with a syrup because the low proportion of fat can make them on the dry side.

All the best, hope this helps icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, that helps. Thank you so much!

I have another book that has recipes for Madeira cakes and wondered what they were like. I'll have to do some testing. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%