I Need A Recipe For A Gluten Free Cake!!

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 6:59am by ceshell

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 6

i need a recipe for a gluten free cake for a wedding cake.. i didn't know if anyone could help me out or suggest one that they've tried!! thanks icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 6

I made this recipe for a child who has a milk allergy and needed something gluten free. It behaved very strangely, but it actually tasted pretty good. It would NOT hold up to any kind of stacking, though. If its only for a few people who need the gluten free cake I'd make the top tier with this one.

http://www.baking-love.org/2008/01/26/natalie-and-carolines-lighter-than-air-chocolate-cake/

I know there have been other threads that have an flour substitute. If you search the forums they will come up.

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:40am
post #3 of 6

I made this cake a couple of weeks ago for someone who has a gluten allergy. It was very tasty. I found it very spongy so I am not sure how well it will hold for tiers.

http://www.recipezaar.com/182083

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:00am
post #4 of 6

www.theartofglutenfreecooking.com

I believe she has some cake recipes on there... maybe you find something you can use.

ambernicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambernicky Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:12am
post #5 of 6

Just an FYI about gluten free cakes.... To be truly gluten free, cakes cannot be baked in any pan that has had flour cakes in them. Some peoples allergies are less than others, but ANY cross contamination can cause some major problems in people with severe gluten allergies. Hope this helps!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 6:59am
post #6 of 6

Oh have I got a thread for you! I did a taste test of a Hershey's GF chocolate cake and also an Allrecipes yellow GF cake, here is the entire thread (my results are on p. 2 but the whole thread is worth a read as it also has tips on other GF delights such as a flourless chocolate cake...YUM!) http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=522883&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=glutenfree&&start=0

Be sure to ask the bride about the cross-contamination issue raised by ambernicky. Both GF cakes I made were for a gal with celiac, but she was NOT so sensitive that trace amounts were an issue for her, so she was able to enjoy my cakes with no problems, although I did run everything through the dishwasher before baking. For what it's worth, for her wedding she had a 3-tier cake where the bottom two tiers were normal/flour cake, and only the top tier was gluten free. Hers was a spice cake, apparently that also translates well to GF baking (I did not bake this cake so I can't offer up a recipe).

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%