Can I Make Bc With?

Decorating By mouse13 Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 3:32pm by jammjenks

mouse13 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 7

I see all the vedios on utube and they have this huge mixer to make their BC. My question is I only have a small electric hand mixer. Is that okay to make BC? Or do you need one of those big mixers? Any help would be great... Thanks.

6 replies
bashini Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 7

I think a hand mixer is good to make a small batch of bc. You will have a hard time if you try to make a bigger batch. icon_smile.gif

mkcraig Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, a hand mixer works fine for small batches. I've had to go that route many times when in someone else's kitchen.

aswartzw Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 7

I've used a hand mixer more often than not. In fact, when I was taking my Wilton courses that all I had to use. I didn't get my KA until last Christmas. All my courses and practice cakes for my sister's wedding were made using the small one.

Cake_Princess Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:24am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse13

I see all the vedios on utube and they have this huge mixer to make their BC. My question is I only have a small electric hand mixer. Is that okay to make BC? Or do you need one of those big mixers? Any help would be great... Thanks.

It really depends on the amount of power you have under the hood so to speak. I have a hand held mixer that's 425 W and I make 2 batches of buttercream or royal icing with out any problems. There are some kitchen aide stand mixers out there that are only 300 W.

So I would suggest taking a look at you mixer to see how many Watts you have.

mclaren Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:28am
post #6 of 7

i only own a hand mixer (pls god grant my wish for the KA) at the moment.

so far i've successfully made up to 2 batches of buttercream. don't think it can take more than that.

my buttercream is the american BC (1 butter : 2 PS).

jammjenks Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 7

If your hand mixer is a low wattage one, you will blow it up. Mine was 225w and made it through course 1, but that was all. My mixer started smoking and smelling burned so I had to break down and buy the KA. Now I don't know what I'd do without it. I have the 475w KA...heck, it may be 425w?? I'm at work now, so I can't be sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%