Pasta Roller?

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm by regymusic

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 12

I would like to get a pasta roller to roll out fondant but I'm trying to decide wich one. I have a KitchenAid mixer and can get the attachment for about $180 here or I could go with a manual one for about $80. What would you do? Does anyone have a manual one they like or should I just save up for the kitchenaid one?
Thanks!

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 12

I have a manual one I've owned for 10 years (back when I thought it was just for noodles). I don't use it often but it's easy to use when I do.

The best thing about it is, if you have Ross in your area, they always have the manual pasta machines for about $13 or $14.

EmilyGrace Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 12

I'm in Canada, so no Ross for me. The only one I've found was about $80. If I could get one for $15 I would definatley get that! Maybe I'll have to make a trip accross the border!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 12

I have a manual one and I wish it had a motor.. I use it to roll out gumpaste a lot and when the piece gets long it's hard to handle it and crank the roller.. I usually enlist the kids for this.. icon_lol.gif

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 12

Do you have Michael's near you? Try looking in the clay section of your local craft store. I know Michaels has them. Other craft stores may, too. And they are pretty inexpensive there.

kels_bells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kels_bells Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 12

Hi! Im form Cambridge ontario and I got mine for under $20 at Benix & Co. They have a website. WWW.benix.ca
HTH

TejasRebel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TejasRebel Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 12

I bought mine here a couple years ago. Still very reasonably priced. I have a KA and could have bought the attachment but (1) too much money; (2) this takes up less room on your work table/area.

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FP1201

TejasRebel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TejasRebel Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

I have a manual one and I wish it had a motor.. I use it to roll out gumpaste a lot and when the piece gets long it's hard to handle it and crank the roller.. I usually enlist the kids for this

The link I just posted above, they also sell a motor. Don't know if it will fit your model, though! thumbs_up.gif

Kim
http://pages.teamintraining.org/ntx/tucson08/kcouch

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 12

I have the manual one but I'm going to purchase the attachment for my KA. I don't have enough hands to feed, crank and catch fondant all at the same time. I think just the roller is around $69 in the US

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 12

I was just on e-bay and the have a bunch of them. There's one that just the roller without all the gizmos and the auction ends 7/19. Right now the price is $0.99 but that's probably just the starting bid. Item 280246815109 if you are interested. I just put KitchenAid Pasta in the search bar.

Good luck.

EmilyGrace Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 12

So when you use the manual one can you stop cranking, move your fondant and start cranking again or do you need one person feeding and cranking and another handling the fondant at the other end? How does the KA one work? Do you feed your fondant in as a lump of dough or do you have to some what flatten it. I'm asuming that because it is automatic you would put your fondant in and handle it on the other side as it comes out, correct? How much fondant can you put in at a time? I need to make a really long ribbon! Thanks for all the replies!

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #12 of 12

I used a manual roller for 4 years and it was OK. I recently sprung for KA pasta attachment and I absolutely love it. Speed and freeing up my hands are the biggest advantages.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%