Do You Make Your Own Yogurt? Looking For Machine Advice

Lounge By punkinpie Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 4:53am by xstitcher

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 22

Hello,

I think I want to buy a yogurt maker. We use A LOT of yogurt! Do you own a machine? What brand? Do you enjoy the yogurt?

Thanks in advance for your help icon_smile.gif

21 replies
staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 22

Do you own a Kitchenaid standing mixer? If so, you can buy the icecream maker attachment.

punkinpie Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 22

I was actually looking to make regular yogurt, not frozen. Sorry I wasn't specific. Thanks for replying icon_smile.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 22

I have a machine that I picked up at a second hand store for only $7, but haven't used it yet LOL... Would also like to know if it turns out good!! icon_smile.gif Guess I could try myself LOL

punkinpie Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 22

I'll have to keep my eye out for a second hand one. I still haven't decided which one to buy. I hate to buy something I won't use often.

Sarsi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:46am
post #6 of 22

How about this....I"ll try out my machine next week and let you know!! Since we seem to be the only ones on this thread! LOL!!! I probably won't get to it till Monday, and I don't remember how long it takes to "cook"...and then I'll want it to get good and cold before I try it. I can't imagine warm yogurt YICK!! icon_biggrin.gif

punkinpie Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:02am
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsi

How about this....I"ll try out my machine next week and let you know!! Since we seem to be the only ones on this thread! LOL!!! I probably won't get to it till Monday, and I don't remember how long it takes to "cook"...and then I'll want it to get good and cold before I try it. I can't imagine warm yogurt YICK!! icon_biggrin.gif

That would be awesome - Thanks!!

What brand is your machine?

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 22

We make yoghurt by ourselves at my restaurant. At home (since we dont consume much) we buy the boxed ones. It is simple to make your own and ALOt cheaper and MUCH tastier.
You need to boil the milk, cool down by leaving off the stove on a table till it is warm but not cool. I usually stick my finger in and if you can hold it in just barely for about 15 seconds then it is the right temp.
Then you add about a cup of youghurt (choose one you like because that is what your homemade will taste like) and whisk it in. Leave overnight in your oven(turned off) and in the morning you should have yoghurt.
Put into the fridge to chill. This is important to set it well, otherwise it will be runny. hope this helps, good luck!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 22

I have a Salton yogurt maker that I've had for 25-30 years. It has spaces for 6 1/2 pint glass jars with little plastic lids. It works great and is still going. I am sure it was about $20 when new.

I am actually in need of an intervention about my collection of small kitchen appliances.

Sarsi Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:20am
post #10 of 22

Mine also is a Salton... it holds 5 cups....should find a picture of it for you.... anyway, I'll be running to the grocery store tomorrow, so I can pick up some yogurt for the "starter". I'll make it tomorrow...I HOPE!! Working on some cakes, but we'll see how it goes!

Its like this, but mine is all white:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWOB-SALTON-YOGURT-MAKER-THERMOSTAT-CONTROLLED-GM5_W0QQitemZ350086217589QQihZ022QQcategoryZ20685QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sarsi Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 22

Awe man...Life changes so fast... I wont be able to get to this till the first week in Sept now...ARGH!!!!

My husband's grandparents just asked us to go camping with them this weekend, and then we'll be home for 4 days, and leave again on Saturday for Colorado, and wont be back till Aug 31st!!!

What a fiasco!! I'm sorry about this!!!

punkinpie Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:10pm
post #12 of 22

Not to worry at all. Whenever you get the chance is fine. Spending time with family is always most important. Enjoy your vacation icon_smile.gif

Sarsi Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:18pm
post #13 of 22

Alright, well, I wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about you!!! icon_smile.gif I actually got the yogurt for the starter, but then started getting all these vacations... and I didn't want to leave the yogurt sitting in the fridge while we're gone...

Sarsi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:18pm
post #14 of 22

Okay!!! I am started on my yogurt!!! I got it all ready to pour into the containers!! Just letting my yogurt maker warm up a bit before I pour my mixture it!! I used 1qt of milk, 1/3 c. dry milk, and 1/2 c. yogurt with live cultures in it....we'll see how this works...I'll post the results for tomorrow...after I eat my fresh yogurt for breakfast!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sarsi Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:52pm
post #15 of 22

Okay, so I tried my yogurt this morning.... and it was kinda runny/goopy like. I got a spoon full and it would run off my spoon. Does anyone know why this would be? It tasted great! Just like yogurt, but the texture on the spoon kinda turned me off.... Any ideas??

punkinpie Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:51pm
post #16 of 22

Glad to hear it tasted good. From what I've read about making yogurt, maybe it needed to cook longer? Also kind what kind of milk you use can affect the consistency i.e. skim vs. full fat

Sarsi Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:56pm
post #17 of 22

Yeah, I did some reading on it as well... I also found out that if you strain the milk through cheesecloth it won't be so runny...so I"ll try that next time too! Oh really? I didn't know that about what kind of milk you used...I used 1%....would 2% or whole be better? I did also add in 1/3 c. of dry milk. I thought that would make it not so runny...

anitadoskas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anitadoskas Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:22pm
post #18 of 22

I make yogurt often, I don't like all of the fillers and sugar that are found in the grocery stores brands. I have a salton 5 cup yogurt maker. I follow the direction found on Hobby farm home website ...

bring 4 cups of cow milk. to 180 degrees F. Cool the milk to 116 degrees F and dissolve the starter, either a package of powdered starter or 3 T fresh yogurt containing live cultures ( i use an organic plain yogurt found on the shelf the small 1/2 container).
Keep the mixture covered and at 116 degrees F for six hours until it âsets upâ to the consistency of thick cream.
Refrigerate your yogurt for up to two weeks, reserving 3 T to start your next batch.
I find it on the runny side so I use a strainer to drain some of the whey off of the yogurt making it really quite thick and creamy. I using homemade preserves or maple syrup and granola to sweeten. We really love it and I love that my kids are getting the real deal without all the fillers. When I drain it I save the whey and use it in my cakes and waffles or whatever I am baking and it makes them really moist. It is such a huge savings also you can make a batch for under a buck.

hope this helps

anita

Sarsi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:43am
post #19 of 22

Thanks for that info anita!! What percentage of milk are you using?

I was really turned off by the runny-goopy texture of mine... would that be eliminated by running the mixture though cheesecloth before cooking it?

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #20 of 22

All this stuff about 1%, 2% and skim is a fallacy dreamed up to make consumers crazy - it really doesn't do much to lower the intake of fats in your diet - just use regular milk and don't worry about it.

anitadoskas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anitadoskas Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:57pm
post #21 of 22

It doesn't matter what type of milk you use, I use whatever I have and never use the powdered milk only because I don't use it and don't have it on hand. However when you strain it I strain it in the fridge because the longer it is left out the tarter it will become. I have a donvier stainer that I pour my yogurt in when it comes out of the maker and just leave it in the fridge over night and the next morning it is ready to serve.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cuisipro-Donvier-Yogurt-Cheese-Maker_W0QQitemZ360088991729QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116 this is the exact strainer I use. I have never left it long enough to make cheese.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:53am
post #22 of 22

I've made yogurt for years (I started when I was about 10 actually). I have never used a machine. I just boil the milk, let it cool until it's lukewarm (if I'm in a real hurry then I'll actually add cold milk to it to cool it down faster) and I add 1 tbsp on yogurt to it wrap it in a towel to make sure it stays warm and stick it in the oven (not turned on or anything) when I go to bed and take it out in the morning and stick it in the fridge to get cold. I find the key is the starter for the best end result.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%