Best Way To Make Fondant Circles On A Cake

Decorating By kristina67 Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm by alanahodgson

kristina67 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering what is the best way to make circles to put on a fondant covered cake. I use chocolate clay mixed with fondant but I'm not happy with how lumpy and distorted they get when I put them on the cake. So is there a technique or recipe that would help me out?

4 replies
DianeLM Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not quite sure the problem you're having. How did you apply the flowers on your exquisite art deco cake? They don't look lumpy or distorted.

Do you mean balls? Or flat cut-out circles?

aswartzw Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 5

I just take fondant rolled a bit thick on a well covered cornstarch pad and cut them with circle cutters and then on it goes. I might use a knife or something to initially release it or a spatula but that's it.

dragonflydreams Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 5

. . . do you let them dry slightly before you actually put them on your cake . . . or do you try to attach them immediately . . . I would think if they had a chance to set up some that they would be less inclined to become misshapen . . .

alanahodgson Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 5

A healthy dose of cornstarch on my vinyl rolling mat and the circles don't stick so there's less chance of losing their shape. I also make sure my fondant is pretty firm-I usually add some tylose to it. But you could also add extra powdered sugar to firm it up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%