First Order 4 Tier Cake Dummy!!! Pls Urgent Help The Newbie

Decorating By isista Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm by jammjenks

isista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isista Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 5

O.k. so they wanted a 4 tier cake dummy for a display.they want in 4 days so i have no time...
i planned to make it with fondant , no wrapping just water..

the questions are how do i stack tiers rather than icing? can i use something like glue etc? do i have to put pipes between tiers , how long must i wait for fondant to dry...etc..?
also must i deliver stacked or do it on their shop...

i know i know many questions, but searching the forums and i am confused and couldnot find all.. icon_confused.gif
thanks appreciate yr help..

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 5

Relax. I did a three tier fondant covered dummy last Saturday night and then stenciled it and had it at a wedding show Sunday by noon.

Spray a light mist (and I do mean light) of water on the dummy, covere with fondant, trim. repeat for all four tiers. Use hot glue or royal icing to adhere the bottom tier to the board and in between the tiers and stack 'em up. They don't need support, because well, they're not really cake. Finish decorating. Take a picture and deliver.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 5

OK, first of all 4 days is plenty of time. Don't panic.

You do not need to use supports on dummy cakes. You can glue them together if you want to as they will not be eaten. You can certainly deliver it stacked. It is not as fragile as an edible cake, so you can all but throw it around without problems.

I don't do much fondant work, but I'm confused when you say "no wrapping just water". icon_confused.gif

isista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isista Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks leahs , thanks jammjenks...
i am very excited.. yeah when i think 4 days is o.k. but being a newbie , you know..
you helped a lot...thanks again.

jemmjenks, i have read in the forums that some people were wrapping the dummy with plastic wrap just to use for another time. since my work will not be at my counters, i meant i will just use water to stick fondant to the foam..
now i know what to do... i will deliver the pic asap.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by isista

Thanks leahs , thanks jammjenks...
i am very excited.. yeah when i think 4 days is o.k. but being a newbie , you know..
you helped a lot...thanks again.

jemmjenks, i have read in the forums that some people were wrapping the dummy with plastic wrap just to use for another time. since my work will not be at my counters, i meant i will just use water to stick fondant to the foam..
now i know what to do... i will deliver the pic asap.

Oh, now I understand. Looks like my fondant ignorance is showing, huh?

Sounds like a great opportunity for you and you are amongst a multitude of knowledgable (<-sp?) decorators on CC. Best of luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%