Questions-Supply Vendors, Profit Margins, Money To Be Made?

Baking By stephaniewahm Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 12:36pm by playingwithsugar

stephaniewahm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniewahm Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 8

My Aunt has decorated cakes for years locally. But most recently she and I have decided to begin a cookie business. We have some questions as we begin our venture and would appreciate some advice from you experts!

Question One: What are some great priced vendors that offer cookie packaging supplies? Any great websites???

Question Two: How do we keep the profit-margins high? We've read through one of the latest strings on pricing which has been very helpful. We are planning to offer gourmet cookies along with decorated sugar cookies - any thoughts on how to keep costs of ingredients to a minimum?

One last question for "sound off".... is there really money to be made in the cookie making business?

We appreciate your thoughts, expertise, and tips. Thank you!

7 replies
lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 8

thank you
I would like more info on this too.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 8

I too am trying to start a cookie business. I already get business for cakes and cookies but I would like to start a cookie mail order program.

I have checked out some good sites for packaging, bags, etc. I use Box and Wrap www.boxandwrap.com and US Box www.usbox.com. I think they have great prices.

I believe there is money to be made in cookies. I watched an episode of Roker on the Road on Food Network and he visited with a lady who makes cookies on a daily basis. She gets her orders from the internet or by mail.

I'm not sure the appropriate response for keeping profit margins high just don't under price yourself. I've done that plenty of times before.

I hope I have helped a little. GOOD LUCK!

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 8

I too am trying to start a cookie business. I already get business for cakes and cookies but I would like to start a cookie mail order program.

I have checked out some good sites for packaging, bags, etc. I use Box and Wrap www.boxandwrap.com and US Box www.usbox.com. I think they have great prices.

I believe there is money to be made in cookies. I watched an episode of Roker on the Road on Food Network and he visited with a lady who makes cookies on a daily basis. She gets her orders from the internet or by mail.

I'm not sure the appropriate response for keeping profit margins high just don't under price yourself. I've done that plenty of times before.

I hope I have helped a little. GOOD LUCK!

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 8

The best advice I can give you is to buy in bulk, and I'm not talking about Costco or Sam's.. There are better deals out there. Gordon's Food Service has some good deals, but you can find even better deals out there. I go to a local warehouse, where you have to have a food license to shop, and I'm saving a ton of money that way. A couple of examples...

I'm paying $12.00 for 25 lbs of powdered sugar. I got my meringue powder from GFS (a great tip from a fellow CC'er) at a cost of 11 cents per oz compared to 77 cents per oz (what I was paying at a cake supply store). Shortening is 50# for $57 - the cake decorating store charges almost $150 for that same box, and GFS charges $75.

Good luck on your new venture!

Amber

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:28am
post #6 of 8

Sugaredup
what is GFS? I read that all of the time.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 8

Gordon's Food Service

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 8

It is going to help if you tell people where you are, so those who are more local to you can assist you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%