Wafer Paper

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 2:01pm by thecreativeone4

tootie0809 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 5

Can you use wafer paper to wrap the side and/or top of a cake? I know wafer paper is used a lot for cookies and making butterflies, but I see so many beautiful designs that I would love to use on a cake and wonder if it is possible to do that.

4 replies
ThreeDGirlie Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 5

Growing up, my mom and grandma decorated the tops of cakes with wafer paper all the time. All the kids LOVED eating the wafer, LOL!

thecreativeone4 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 5

yes, I use it all the time, but you have to coat it with piping gel so that it doesn't dry out and curl. (front and back)

tootie0809 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 5

So I would need to use piping gel to adhere it to the cake and then brush it with piping gel after it is applied? How does it taste? Is it a funky taste? Is it cruncy? I've never used or tasted it.

thecreativeone4 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 5

I draw what I want on the wafer paper, brush it front and back with piping gel (very thin) and let it dry (I tape it so that it hangs from the edge of my counter.) I used to dry it on wax paper but found that sometimes it sticks. I let it dry for about five hours--so it's still pliable. I brush the surface of the cake with water (Or you can use and airbrush with water in it, or a water bottle) Stick the wafer paper on. done!

wafer paper plain tastes like an unsweetened fortune cookie.... but with the piping gel it tastes pretty good. Nice and sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%