Here Is A Great "how Do I?" For You Lol!

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 7:08am by Cake_Princess

mom2spunkynbug Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:18am
post #1 of 20

How do I transport a wedding cake in a sedan-type car?! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

There has got to be a way, right? We have a Chevy Suburban, but it's dying (no power steering, so I can't drive it, no a/c and that will NOT be good transporting wedding cakes in the summer)!

We also have a 4-door sedan in perfect condition. You know how the back seats are slanted - I was thinking...if we put a large piece of wood/board back there & somehow leveled it...

What do you think? Has anyone else ever done this???

19 replies
YummyFireMummy Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:26am
post #2 of 20

I sit cakes on the floor in the back...just move the seat forward all the way...put the cake in and carefully move the seat back....never had a problem doing it this way...have never sat a cake on the seat though...

fondantfrenzy Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:29am
post #3 of 20

HA HA HA HA, i put it in a box in the front seat and put the seat belt around it and held the box with one hand

and another time I put in a box on the floor board and pushed the seat up against the box..i did it fully assembled, and my friend was saying...oooh never transport an assembeled cake...i was like...eh..i am doing it for free, who cares..ha ha hah ah. POssibly i just got lucky? icon_rolleyes.gif

Juds2323 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:30am
post #4 of 20

I only have sedan's, but the only tiered cakes I transported were assembled on site. Not confident enough to transport stacked already. I have couriered 2 cakes in my car - afraid the trunk would be too warm so I just used a small book to level the seat used no skid mat and put one cake on the seat and one on the non skid mat on the floor.

Judi

Charmaine49 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:34am
post #5 of 20

I, again, push the front seat back as far as it will go.
Put non-slip mat on the floor and put the cake on top of that.
Get very nervous when I have to do this, but at least I can watch the cake
while driving.
"Touch wood" never had a disaster as yet!!

fondantfrenzy Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:46am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine49

I, again, push the front seat back as far as it will go.
Get very nervous when I have to do this, but at least I can watch the cake
while driving.
"Touch wood" never had a disaster as yet!!

What kind of car do you have? I may be in Cape Town in the near future for work and would like to make sure I dont drive near you since you will be watching the cake and not the road!!!!LOL, just kidding!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cupsncakes Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:06am
post #7 of 20

I have used the back seat of my small sedan. I just levelled the seat with a couple of towels, then put a non-slip mat on top of them then placed the cake on top. I didn't put the seat belt around it and it stayed put. I've only done this with fondant covered cakes though. There's not a big call for buttercream here.

tonedna Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:13am
post #8 of 20

oh wow..first pray...then move seat...level...non skid mat.. and pray some more... icon_lol.gif I never done it in a sedan, I think i would die too!... icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Malakin Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:00am
post #9 of 20

Try moving a wedding cake in a 2 door jeep! It's horrible. No space in the back area of the jeep unless I take the whole seat. But, I have put the cake, on a peice of plywood, with non stick mat, and put flat pillows under the sloping part of the seat until the cake is level. Then I pray....a lot.....

Malakin Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:01am
post #10 of 20

Darn, did it twice.

aswartzw Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 20

Quote Charmaine49: I, again, push the front seat back as far as it will go.

I do the same thing! Or I lower my back seat so I can get A/C to my trunk and use a nonskid in my trunk and put it there.

aligotmatt Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:16pm
post #12 of 20

I just got a van a couple weeks ago, previous to this, every cake in my pictures has been transported by sedan. We had a pontiac grand am. I would use towels or sometimes a lumbar support cushion (hey, just work with me here!) and I had a piece of wood that I would put on it, use the level and make sure it's level. The wood was big enough that I could slide back the front seat and wedge it in. Then put a non skid mat on the wood and put the cake on it. Never had a problem!

poshcakedesigns Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:24pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I just got a van a couple weeks ago, previous to this, every cake in my pictures has been transported by sedan. We had a pontiac grand am. I would use towels or sometimes a lumbar support cushion (hey, just work with me here!) and I had a piece of wood that I would put on it, use the level and make sure it's level. The wood was big enough that I could slide back the front seat and wedge it in. Then put a non skid mat on the wood and put the cake on it. Never had a problem!

icon_lol.gif genius!!!

charman Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:28pm
post #14 of 20

Could you borrow a easier vehicle to transport in from a friend? Transporting wedding cakes is nerve wracking enough without having to do it in a vehicle that isn't equipped right. I've borrowed my dad's explorer several times to just have that piece of mind. Make them a small cake as a thank you...of course replace the gas you use.
Good luck!

jammjenks Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #15 of 20

I transported this one assembled in a Toyota Tundra!

I just moved the front passenger seat as far forward as it would go and put the cake on the back floorboard. Our truck is a four-door, but it is still hard to take a cake in. We used to have a Trailblazer and it was PERFECT for transporting cakes that would be assembled on site or whole sheets. I think it's easier for me to travel with an assembled tiered cake than a whole sheet.
LL

mom2spunkynbug Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:34pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

Yeah, this is what I was thinking with the board - you describe it very well! And I love the idea of pushing the front seat back to "secure" it better & using a level to make sure it's level! I just didn't know what I would level it with...I think rolled up towels would work well! Now I just have to find that perfect piece of wood! LOL

Oh, and I would NEVER transport a cake fully assembled! There are WAY too many potholes around here to be risking all that! I mean, it's not uncommon for someone to say they lost their hubcap the other day because of a pothole on such-&-such road!

And no, there isn't anyone else's SUV I could borrow. I'm hoping that I'll be able to buy a new SUV in the future from the money I'm making from these cakes (fingers crossed).

Thanks for your input everyone! icon_smile.gif

Charmaine49 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:21am
post #17 of 20

jammjenks,

Your cake is really stunning, like the idea of the cars going
round and round.
Must have taken you forever to do all that grass!

My nerves would have been shot, if I had to transport a cake
of this size in my car!!
All I say is "no ways"!!

dandelion56602 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:39am
post #18 of 20

The bad thing about putting an assembled cake in a sedan in having to tilt that baby to put it in and take it out (depending on how tall it is). I wouldn't do it assembled for sure. Unassembled and using tons of non-slip mats!

I would highly suggest not using a trunk, ever. The fumes from your exhaust can get in the trunk = a severely ruined cake icon_sad.gif

ladij153 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:43am
post #19 of 20

I always use towels to level the slanted seat out. If I have more than two tiers I assemble on site.

You never realize how bumpy the roads are until you need to transport a cake!!!

Cake_Princess Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 7:08am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

How do I transport a wedding cake in a sedan-type car?! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

There has got to be a way, right? We have a Chevy Suburban, but it's dying (no power steering, so I can't drive it, no a/c and that will NOT be good transporting wedding cakes in the summer)!

We also have a 4-door sedan in perfect condition. You know how the back seats are slanted - I was thinking...if we put a large piece of wood/board back there & somehow leveled it...

What do you think? Has anyone else ever done this???

Roll a towel and place it on the back seat to sort of level off the seat. Then place a nonskid mat on top.

Better yet, have someone sit in the back seat with the cake on their lap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%