Crayon Cake Saga

Decorating By Autoemesiss Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 12:26am by PattyT

Autoemesiss Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:16am
post #1 of 12

Hi All,

I've read and read and read and read. So here is what I am planning to do after all the homework I have done. I also have a ton of questions too.

I am going to do a single crayon, double layered, taped tip and BC (hoping this is the right initials of buttercream) frosting. (because I am a chicken when it comes to fondant)

I am going to have it about 5-6 inches arcoss and maybe two feet long.

So how to do this:

I am thinking of using 4 9x13 pans. To make a 2 layer cake and use the scraps together to shave down the tip.

Questions: Does any of this makes sense?

Too much cake? Not enough? For the tip should I make a 8x8 or 9x9 and shave that, is using the scraps too difficult?

Lastly, I have only used scratch reciepes for my cakes and they have never come out really well. I thinking of using a box with some changes. does anyone have a favorite box mix and addons to get a sturdy cake that will come out of my 9x13?

Phew, That's it for now.

TIA!

Sue

(4 weeks to go, till baby turns one!) lol

11 replies
MissChrissy Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #2 of 12

Ok I am not sure about the sculpting of the cake BUT I do know that the WASC cake is amazing and really dense to it owuld be great to sculpt with!!1 HTH!! icon_biggrin.gif

Good Luck!!

beachcakes Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #3 of 12

Welcome to Cake Central!

I recommend using the WASC (White Almond Sour Cream) cake in the recipe section. It's a box mix base with additions and is sturdy enough to carve. I prefer carving to using scraps, others may disagree.

How many people are you serving? Party size serving is 1.5 x 2" for a double layer, your cake would serve about 100 if it's 6" wide.

Don't worry - you'll do great!

tonedna Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:31am
post #4 of 12

Well I dont think there is something as too much cake.. But!..it helps to know how many people are eating it!... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna

KoryAK Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:39am
post #5 of 12

Will the crayon be laying down or standing up?

Autoemesiss Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:54am
post #6 of 12

Crayon will be lying down and it will feed about 25-30 people.... I guess I will make BIG pieces for people to eat.....lol... who doesnt like cake, right?

foxymomma521 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 10:57am
post #7 of 12

If you scaled it down you could use an ice cream cone for the tip so you don't have to carve it... Good Luck!

micnmax2003 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 12

there is a article/how to & pics in the 2006 Wilton yearbook (pg 11) using 9x13 jelly roll & ice cream cone for construction....each cake served 12 & look simple enough that making more than one wouldn't be an issue.

BCo Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 12

If you don't need to serve that many people why don't you bake a bunch of 6"cakes and then cut them in half and stack them next to eat other (buttercream in between to hold them together) - hope this make sense: but the rounded sides of the cakes would be facing up and the cut sides would be against your cake board (use more BC to stick them to the board) - then just stack them next to each other as long as you wanted the crayon to be - that way your crayon would be rounded on top- like a crayon!! Then I think the flat bottom ice cream cone would be a good size like someone mentioned for the tip. Then just ice the entire thing in whatever color buttercream you want. That may be easier to do then carving and you wouldn't have so much cake left over. If you did want it bigger then do bigger size layers and cut in half.

Let me know if that makes any sense to you!! LOL - I've seen baby bottles done this way so they're more 3D!

Brandie

foxymomma521 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

If you don't need to serve that many people why don't you bake a bunch of 6"cakes and then cut them in half and stack them next to eat other (buttercream in between to hold them together) - hope this make sense: but the rounded sides of the cakes would be facing up and the cut sides would be against your cake board (use more BC to stick them to the board) - then just stack them next to each other as long as you wanted the crayon to be - that way your crayon would be rounded on top- like a crayon!! Then I think the flat bottom ice cream cone would be a good size like someone mentioned for the tip. Then just ice the entire thing in whatever color buttercream you want. That may be easier to do then carving and you wouldn't have so much cake left over. If you did want it bigger then do bigger size layers and cut in half.

Let me know if that makes any sense to you!! LOL - I've seen baby bottles done this way so they're more 3D!

Brandie

That is a GREAT idea thumbs_up.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

Brandie

That is a GREAT idea thumbs_up.gif

PattyT Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:26am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Well I dont think there is something as too much cake.. But!..it helps to know how many people are eating it!... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna

So funny icon_lol.gif ...but so very, very true! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%