Sculpy Studio Impression Mats At The Craft Store

Decorating By brendaonline Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 3:39am by TexasSugar

brendaonline Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #1 of 7

I'm not sure how long they've been out, but just spotted them in the craft store.

They have some really neat designs on flexible silicone mats. They would need to be repositioned for large areas since they're only about 4x6 inches, but might be perfect for the sides of cakes.

I'm afraid I'm not sure how much they cost, since the receipt is the very old fashioned kind, but I think it was $5 or $6 for a set of two mats.

I'll try to put a link in to a product review:

http://www.crafttestdummies.com/2008/02/11/craft-product-review-texture-makers-by-studio-by-sculpey/

6 replies
tonedna Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:11am
post #2 of 7

I use them..they are good..I just wish they were bigger!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:17am
post #3 of 7

Edna -

Do these mats have a repeat on them? In other words, can you line the edges up so that you can repeat patterns around a cake, edge to edge, without a seam or distortion in the pattern?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:22am
post #4 of 7

well, the patterns that I bought can be match cause they are busy patterns and it cant be diguised enough.. But I don't know all of them. They are small so you have to be careful not to imprint the borders when you are trying to match them. Is not an easy task, but It can be done.. Just dint expect perfection..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:26am
post #5 of 7

Thanks, Edna.

My other concern is that, even though these are silicone, they are probably not food-grade silicone.

I read all the time about members here and other forums using products on cakes which are definitely not food-grade, and it concerns me greatly. Many of those products leach chemicals, and I'm extremely hesitant to use something which might make someone sick.

I will write to Sculpey and inquire as to what grade of silicone they use. If I get a response, I will be sure to post it here.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:34am
post #6 of 7

Well..Is a good question..I have no idea on that part.. I used it for a cake drum design on a cake..so it was not directly on the cake.. so I was not worried about that.. I do think that the amount of time that is in touch with the fondant is so short, that it really doesnt have the time to do any damage..Let me know if you find out!
Edna
icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:39am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I will write to Sculpey and inquire as to what grade of silicone they use. If I get a response, I will be sure to post it here.

They will tell you that it is not for use with food. At least that is my guess since that has been their reply about their little clay molds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%