State Fair ?

Baking By deetmar Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm by smoore

deetmar Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:21am
post #1 of 13

I am thinking about entering some decorated sugar cookies in the State Fair. This will be my first time. I am also thinking of entering a cake. I am so nervous.

Do you guys have any suggestions or words of wisdom. You are welcome to say "Don't Do It!"

12 replies
CherylB Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:33am
post #2 of 13

I would say, do it! You'll get experience, at the very least. Who knows what will happen.

When I was going through a bad divorce, my sister talked me into entering one of my paintings into the State Fair (to cheer me up) and much to my shock, I won second prize.

Go for it!

fondantgrl Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:41am
post #3 of 13

I am a State Fair food competition fanatic..
All I can say is, decorate to stand out. Do not worry about the jealous types. The more you stand out, the better. If you make the person next to you look so pitiful, then so be it. You're in a competition and not in a support group meet up. You are all in this for the same reason. To win, so go for it. Give it a 110%. GOOD LUCK thumbs_up.gif

cookiemookie Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 13

Definitely go for it!

I really want to try next year. It's too late this year.

My favorite part of our State Fair is the food competitions. I love looking at all the entries. My former neighbor always won blue ribbons for her cakes. She always made my daughter's cakes for any occasion we had.

There are never many decorated cookies in ours, so I think I might have a little chance of something!

Good luck. Let us know how it comes out!

funkycupcake Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 13

it seems to be state fair time!! (or nearing it) my city is having an agricultural fair in October and they have a cake decorating contest! (i know this is a cookie forum but...) they have a beginner category which i am so it'll be so fun for me. we can decorate a foam board or cake board. doesn't have to be an actual cake. because its the decoration itself that's being judged. ok i'll end here before i go on and on lol.
i say go for it!! it'll be fun.

tonedna Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 13

I say do it..Is a learning experience. Dont go cause you want to win(of course make your best to win) But do it for the experience!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

deetmar Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:08am
post #7 of 13

I have decided to do it. I am working on a wedding cake to enter, that is kicking my behind. Of course, I picked one with tons of roses. I am entering cookies, and two desserts.

Ok, I know, I am nuts. Right now I just want to keep busy. I am thinking about doing Raggedy Ann and Andy cookies, what do you think? Or do you have any suggestions?

You won't see many cakes or any cookies on my photos, I haven't been able to uplad for about six months. I think it's my camera. So.... any helpful ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

Oh, and I am not entering to win, just for the experience.

yankeegal Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:11pm
post #8 of 13

Just wanted to wish you good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 13

Darn! Our county fair (I haven't looked into state fair) has a cake decorating competition but it's for 4-h'ers only. I don't think I would pass for 14-years old anymore. icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #10 of 13

My only piece of advice is to spend a little extra thought and care into how you present your piece. Judges look at the whole picture, and will deduct points for a less than professional looking cake plate!

terrig007 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 13

Good Luck. When I was a kid I used to enter into the County Fair all the time and that's how I got to State Fair through 4-H. It was always a lot of fun, wouldn't mind doing it again but I am also a bit old for 4-H now.
But anyone remember the old movie "State Fair" with Dana Andrews in it? Anyway, the mother makes some mincemeat pies and puts a dab of whiskey in it and her husband comes along and puts a whole lot more. She wins of course.
I'm sure you'll do well. Have fun most of all and take in all the "attractions" on the midway too.

fondantgrl Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:59pm
post #12 of 13
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

My only piece of advice is to spend a little extra thought and care into how you present your piece. Judges look at the whole picture, and will deduct points for a less than professional looking cake plate!

This is so true.. although an entry is judged mostly by taste(depends of the category), they still look at the presentation and over all.. One time there was a cake entry placed in a shoe box. It is always a compliment to them when they are presented with something very pretty and worth their time. Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

smoore Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 13

Darn it! I inquired over 2 months ago about our county fair, as I never had an entry, not even as a kid. The person in charge of the decorated cakes was just taking over the position and didn't have any information yet on rules, themes, etc .... but took my name and address and would mail the information out as soon as she got it. I got it over the weekend, but didn't have time to look at it till Monday. The deadline for entries was 7/19! And if that wasn't enough, I'll be at a convention for my "real job" the first 3 days of fair this year and won't be in town the day of drop off. It looks like it wasn't meant to be this time for me, but I heard that a lot of people looking for bakers really look at fair competitors as a possible vendor. We've got 4H entries at our fair, but also have professional and amature adult entries as well. Next year ????

Quote by @%username% on %date%