Topsy Turvy ???

Decorating By SISA Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 1:14am by Mike1394

SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 8

OK...........I am jumping in and finially making my first Topsy Turvy cake. I could use a little advice from others that have made them already. I have always been afraid that my cake might not make it in one piece through delivery so I steer clear of this type of cake. Also, my cake only NEEDS to feed 50 - 60 people and suggestions on the size of my layers would be greatly appreciated. I am sure that most of the 3 layer one on here serve more then that however I do like the look of the 3 layers better. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I learn so much from all of you on here and would appreciate any comments or advice.

7 replies
turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #2 of 8

I just did my first topsy turvy cake Friday. It was two tiers. I wanted to just stack the top tier on the bottom tier without cutting the bottom tier. Both tiers were slanted too much, so I had to use the method in the articles section. I figured they might fall over if I didn't. I used 10 inch and 6 inch cakes. It was a lot of cake, it was very heavy. Good luck with your cake.
LL

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #3 of 8

double post

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:10am
post #4 of 8

You need to cut the hole.. That hole is the only thing that is going to make your cake secure.. Because the inside of the hole is completely leveled and that way the cake is laying on a level surface instead of a slanted surface.
Edna

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:22am
post #5 of 8

I totally agree with tonedna I have made a couple of them you need to cut the hole make sure you use a firm cake batter ( pound cake works well) there is a article on CC that should help you Good Luck with your cake let us know how it turns out

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:34am
post #6 of 8

Here is the one I did this weekend. I did it just like the directions on CC, and also used the SPS system. I didn't do the tapered sizes, though, I just did each tier all the same size.
Something I really want to stress is that you need to make sure that your cake has a perfect center of gravity, which means you should be able to look at it and see where the center of each tier lines up with one another.
3 tiers should be perfect! This cake was a 6, 9 and 12.
LL

SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #7 of 8

Thanks guys for the advice. Both cakes that were posted look great. I hope mine turns out as well. It is for my brothers 50th B-day. Honestly he is more than a brother he is my best friend. Due to family issues when he was a kid and then just for whatever other reasons he has never had a Birthday Party. So he is embracing his 50th and throwing himself a bash and I want the cake to be great. I'll post pictures when I am finished. Thanks again!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:14am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SISA

Thanks guys for the advice. Both cakes that were posted look great. I hope mine turns out as well. It is for my brothers 50th B-day. Honestly he is more than a brother he is my best friend. Due to family issues when he was a kid and then just for whatever other reasons he has never had a Birthday Party. So he is embracing his 50th and throwing himself a bash and I want the cake to be great. I'll post pictures when I am finished. Thanks again!

Very Cool. I hope it's one Heck of a party. Sounds like he needs/deserves it. Congrats on having such a great friend.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%