Has Anyone Used The Luster Sprays?

Decorating By Mom2LiamandQuinn Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 2:49am by Amia

Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 5

I have a bride wanting a cake shaped like rings, and wants them gold. Does the spray work well? How much would I need to cover 2 18" round with the centers cut out?

Also, if I decide to go with luster dust instead, how much do you think I'd need to cover those sizes. Will it work on BC? (I've only used the dusts on fondant) Thanks!

4 replies
beachcakes Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:07am
post #2 of 5

I used the PME lustre spray on the gold accents on this cake and was pleased with it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1209442

The cans are small, maybe 5 oz? I've not used it on BC, so I'm not sure how it will cover. I don't think you'll be able to get the look you want with lustre dust on BC.

Tona Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:12am
post #3 of 5

I have used the Luster spary and it works well. The cans are very small like beachcakes said. You will get a better look with Fondant. Good luck

ski Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:41am
post #4 of 5

I did an Oscar cake that probably was as large as your cakes will be together. I airbrushed with a mixture of Old Gold, Aztec Gold and Super Gold. I used one full container of each(mixed together) and just layered it. I allowed the layers to dry then reapplied til I got the look I wanted. I have lacquer spary now I have used, however, I wouldn't trust it with a big job as it does spit a bit. Do realize tho that you will need to test the vodka-luster dust ratio so that you have the right spary consistency otherwise it will clog. Once you have found that out, then make a large batch IE tall squeeze bottle. Good Luck!

Amia Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:49am
post #5 of 5

I've used the PME Luster Sprays and liked them. I have an airbrush now and prefer that though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%