Yellow White And Chocolate Cake Recipes You Use?

Baking By drgrl21 Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 12:07am by alanahodgson

drgrl21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drgrl21 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 10

I am trying to find good yellow white and chocolate cake recipes. I was wondering what do all of you guys use for your cakes? Does everyone use the recipes from this site or from a book,if you don't mind sharing. I am starting to decorate but I don't have any good basic cakes recipes. My cakes don't taste right,when I try from scratch:/

Thanks,
Drgrl21

9 replies
SimplyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyM Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 10

Try going to a half price book store. You can get great cake books there w/o spending a lot. I bought two Cake Doctor books and they have come in real handy.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 10

For an excellent chocolate cake try this one from epicurious.com

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/DOUBLE-CHOCOLATE-LAYER-CAKE-101275

I like the Whimsical Bakehouse white butter cake and that is in the recipes here. Their chocolate cake isn't bad either, but I much prefer the one I linked above.

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 10

I agree the Whimsical bakehous white cake is really good, I've also been using their chocolate, but will definatelyy check out the epiciurious one!! For yellow, I was using Martha's but I have found that people can't tell the difference between her's and the cake mix doctor's so now I use the doctored mix, it's cheaper and a lot faster.

rwarhank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarhank Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 10

I like Toba Garrett's yellow cake. There's also some recipe threads in the forums on the best chocolate, white cakes...although I can't locate them at present

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 10

The Cake Bible is worth every penny you spend. Great recipes and the explanation of what is included in each recipe and why specific ingredients are used to give it the taste and structure for that specific recipe. It's a must have book. I use mine so much it's starting to fall apart. The Golden Butter Cream cake is soooooo amazing!

B2B

drgrl21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drgrl21 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 10

That is the book that I have "whimsical" and the white cake was a fail, maybe I did not fold the whites properly. It was very rich,not light or soft.:/

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 10

I use White on White Buttermilk Cake I think i got it from here! Very moist and yummy!

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 10

there are some good ones in the recipe section for starters. icon_smile.gif

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:07am
post #10 of 10

I use the epicurious one that jkalman posted. For white and yellow I use the WASC (white almond sour cream cake) recipe, but change up the flavorings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%