Just Wondering How All Of You Started Your Business

Business By onacakehigh Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 1:50pm by SweetConfectionsChef

onacakehigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onacakehigh Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,
How did you get your business going? I am a SAHM so I really need some ideas. Thanks

6 replies
Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,
Well, two years ago I started baking them and donating them to our town library's bi-annual bake and book sale. Two for each sale, Spring and Fall. This Spring, my cakes never made it to the sale table b/c the volunteers heard I was donating and they took the cakes from me that morning, wrote their names on them and bought them themselves. icon_smile.gif

You'll find a way, I'm a SAHM too...best of luck!

sheila06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheila06 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 7

I started out of a little building beside my home, advertised with fliers in town at banks, beauty shops, sandwich shops, etc. You have to really get your name out there. I did this until I found my store front.

onacakehigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onacakehigh Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #4 of 7

Thank you both them are some great ideas. thumbs_up.gif

Anyone one else got any ideas?

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 7

I've been decorating for 5 years, mostly doing cakes for church and such. The church people kept wanting to throw money at me for my graduation cakes, and I took the $$, even though I wasn't legal. I started getting outside orders from church people, and finally made it legal in my state a year ago. I'd say that 90% of my customers are still church people and other friends, but a work-related vendor's dh is the manager of a local reception hall, and he's now got my name and cake pictures as a cake vendor at his hall. No bookings from there yet, but I'm hoping soon...

donnalane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnalane Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:35am
post #6 of 7

I started selling my cakes about 4 months ago and things have been going real good. I had no clue of how to get going. I started by making cakes for different peoples birthdays and of course I gave the cake for free and It gave me alot of exposure and I got orders from those attending the pary. I also took a small purse cake to my hair dresser one day and got orders from others in the salon. I always made sure I took cake that most people don't see all the time and it has really paid off. I did a free cake for my son's girlfriends birthday it was a replica of a dooney and bourke purse all the other girls at the party went crazy and had to have one at their party so I got orders from that. I have also received orders from different fundraisers that I have donated my cakes to. I have given quite a few free cakes but it has helped get my name out there as well as give me several orders so those free cakes really paid for themselves in the end. Hopefully this will help you with a few ideas. The best of luck to you!!!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 7

There are MANY threads asking this very same question...you should do a search and you'll find a ton of info! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%