Grrrr..buttercream....

Decorating By Mystery Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 3:17pm by PennySue

Mystery Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 7

Every time I make a cake with BC, the coloring always bleeds and the BC melts. I live in TX, so the heat is probobly the big thing. Any tips or pointer to keep this stuff from happening?

6 replies
sweetsbyJ Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 7

are you using shortening in the BC?
I live in Miami, FL ..its always hot here icon_mad.gif I've never had any problems with BC..I also use gel paste colors and have had no bleeding..

Mystery Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, the recipe is half butter, half shortening. And I use the Wilton gel colors.

SeriousCakes Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 7

Are you keeping it in the fridge before serving? If so that would explain the melting and bleeding, condensation forms as the cake comes to room temp and makes the cake 'sweat'...

Momkiksbutt Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 7

I suggest using the recipe posted by Sugarshack instead of what you are using.

It's far and away the best BC icing I've ever used, and I'll never use anything else again!!

Mystery Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks, I'll give that recipe a try! And, nope, I don't refrigerate it.

PennySue Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 7

A friend of mine who is a pastry chef lent me a book on pastries and cakes, etc. It says that if heat is an issue, add melted white chocolate in the bcf. It has a higher melt temp than butter and will add stability to the icing. I've used wc in my bcf for quite a while because it cuts down that too sweet taste from powdered sugar. Keep it in the fridge until you need to display the cake. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%