How Do I Make This Topper?

Decorating By katie11 Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 12:43am by PattyT

katie11 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make a cake for my sister's bridal shower and I love the looks of this cake. I know I can make the polka dots and stripes, but I have no idea how to make the topper. I guess I could make the individual pieces by rolling fondant cut on a an angle around a dowel and letting them dry. But I don't have a clue how to attach them to the cake, or how to bunch them. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

http://cakesbyrosa.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/funky-pink-and-brown-wedding-cake/

7 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 8

You're right about wrapping the strips around a dowel and letting them dry. To keep them from sticking to the dowel, dust it with cornstarch first.

I haven't made anything that looks like that, but I bet you can do it exactly the way that fondant bows are made:
To stick it all together, get a piece of waxed paper and trim it to fit in the cake pan you're using for the top tier (to be sure you get the size right). Put a blob of melted candy coating (almond bark coating, wilton candy melts, etc) in the middle of the waxed paper and start standing the fondant curls up in the candy coating. It hardens fast so it shouldn't be too hard to get the look you want. You might start with the middle couple of them (unlike a fondant bow where you start with the outside), then add more candy coating around it and put the next ones and so on. Once you have it looking like you want, let it harden totally and then peel the waxed paper off. To attach the completed topper to the cake, use a smear of buttercream or royal icing. If it's heavy, you may want to support it a bit.

tiptop57 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 8

When I make toppers, I get a 3" cake disc put a mound of gumpaste or fondant in the middle insert the items and let dry then I placed the disc onto the cake.

cakesbyrosa Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:43am
post #4 of 8

Hi! It's my blog you got the photo from. I improvised for that cake, but I'm happy to tell you how I did it. icon_smile.gif

I made the ribbons by cutting ribbons of fondant and rolling them inside sheets of waxed paper (around dowels would work fine) and leaving them to dry. At least 48 hours is probably wise...

To adhere them to the cake, I just put a big mound of fondant on top of the cake, and put the ribbons in one by one. I used extra pieces of fondant to provide extra support around the bottom where required (the little rosebuds conceal some of the supporting fondant). I hope that helps - I'm not much of an expert but it worked! icon_smile.gif

~Rosa

katie11 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:23am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for your reply, and I love, love, love your cake. I'm not sure that I'll do it any justice, but I'm going to try! Did you support the topper within the cake with dowels or anything? I'm worried that it might be heavy and smoosh the top layer. Thanks again for your reply!

cakesbyrosa Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:27am
post #6 of 8

Thank you! I'm glad you like it - I was amazed I managed to even finish it!

I didn't use anything to support it, but my cake was fairly sturdy - maybe if your cake is lighter and more prone to squishing maybe some extra support would be useful. icon_smile.gif Good luck - let me know how you go! I'd love to see pictures of yours. icon_smile.gif

katie11 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:34am
post #7 of 8

The shower is not until August 23rd - I'm planning ahead! To be honest, I've never worked with fondant before, so I'm a little freaked out. I'm going to ice the cake in buttercream and do the details in fondant. I also have to transport the cake from Virginia to Maryland. I guess I'll just assemble it when I get to my mother's. How far in advance can I make the topper? I'm just going to use store bought fondant. Wish me luck! I'll post pictures if it doesn't look too crappy. My sister's wedding colors are pink and brown, and her invitation has pink and brown polka dots on it, so this cake is perfect. Maybe you could just make one for me? Ha Ha!

Katie

p.s. What size pans did you use?

PattyT Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:43am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyrosa

Hi! It's my blog you got the photo from. I improvised for that cake, but I'm happy to tell you how I did it. icon_smile.gif

I made the ribbons by cutting ribbons of fondant and rolling them inside sheets of waxed paper (around dowels would work fine) and leaving them to dry. At least 48 hours is probably wise...

To adhere them to the cake, I just put a big mound of fondant on top of the cake, and put the ribbons in one by one. I used extra pieces of fondant to provide extra support around the bottom where required (the little rosebuds conceal some of the supporting fondant). I hope that helps - I'm not much of an expert but it worked! icon_smile.gif

~Rosa

Rosa - just wanted to chime in and say how great your cake is. I followed the link and when the picture opened literally said "WOW".

It's a wonderful cake and your very kind to share the technique.

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%