Gumpaste Flowers With Wire...help...clueless!

Decorating By Heatherly30 Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 5:59pm by tonedna

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 14

I am making a cake that will have gumpaste gerbera daisies on the side of the cake. I am concerned that the weight of the daisies may prevent the daisies form sticking to the side of the cake (even with RI). So I thought I might attach them to wire, and stick the wire in the cake at an angle. Do you think I'll have better luck that way? What gauge wire would you recommend? Do I cover it with floral tape? Is all of this food safe? Is it ok to stick this into the cake?

13 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 14

First let me ask what type of frosting are you using to cover your cake? If it is fondant the flowers will stick with RI just make sure it dries completely. If using buttercream I suggest you make buttercream flowers.

Wrapping a stem with florist tape and pushing that into the cake is still classed as a foreign body and is not acceptable.

Although many people on this board will disagree with me, I consider a plastic drinking straw not acceptable as it has an open end and as such the wire can still come into contact with the cake.

You do not need to cover your wires with floral tape if they are not seen and there are many types of floral wire, including but not limited to, green wires and cloth covered white and/or green wires. However, if you plan on the recipient keeping the posy for display, I suggest you wrap them.

HTH

Heatherly30 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks Tiptop...I am using bc to ice the cake. I guess I'll have to play around with it. So are you saying that some ppl do put wire into the cake?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 14

No need to cover the wire with florist tape.. I put a little bit of fresh buttercream(if the cake is covered in buttercream) and then sink the wire in the cake. It holds well.
If it is fondant you can attach with RI or even Chocolate wich dries faster..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 14

Unfortunately I respectfully disagree with Tonedna's method. But it is your choice of course. Although some people do put wires into cakes directly I consider that is an extreme no - no as they are a foreign body. If you must still insert wires into a cake use a posy pick. Wilton offers a food safe one: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E312C10-475A-BAC0-5D34A3D6D0BDDF27

Heatherly30 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks Edna! I watched your video a few weeks ago on youtube. I didn't know you were on here! So when attached to the wire, and inserted into the bc cake, the gumpaste flowers should stay in place well? Any other tips for me? This is my first time working with gumpaste. I made a sample flower that looked great. Are there any other basics I should know?

Heatherly30 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for your help. I'll look around and see what I can find. Wish me luck!

tonedna Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 14

If you go through my gallery..all my cake flowers are done mostly over buttercream. Royal icing flowers dont have wire and are attached with buttercream no problem..

you do have to make sure that you dont use really soft buttercream cause it doesnt have a good hold. My buttercream is always in a medium consistency.

This flowers have wire..they were attached with a bit of buttercream under them

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1236491

This ones are RI and have no wire..attached with buttercream
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=

Gumpaste flowers.. used buttercream to attach
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1236589

Wire with a little bit of buttercream
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1236905

And so on...You have to watch the consistency of your icing, the weight of the flower but it can be done..I do it all the time..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 14

Oh Edna dear. Time for more youtubes ??

tonedna Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 14

I am working on some right now fiddlesticks!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 14

When I do the gumpaste flowers on a buttercream cake, I use the posey picks, fill it with a little fondant, push the wire of the flower into that, with or without floral tape, and then insert that into the cake. My flower haven't been as big a the gerber daisy though.

Hey Edna, love your videos on Youtube!

tonedna Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks Malakin.. icon_lol.gif

I do like those tubes..they can be a hazzle when you have a zillion flowers in the cake.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:51pm
post #13 of 14

Oh Edna you just made my day !!! icon_biggrin.gif Please let me know I dont want to miss any ! icon_lol.gif The cakes you have been posting are just beautiful as always ! thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 14

ty girl!...I will let you know!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%