A Couple Of Questions From A Newbie- Please Help!

Decorating By campeli Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 5:36pm by sugarshack

campeli Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 5

How many servings do you get out of a double layer 9x13 cake?? Different charts say different things. There will be lots of other food at the party, so servings don't need to be big. What's reasonable?

Also, I was planning to use some royal icing flowers, but it's supposed to be a hot day. Do I need to be concerned w/ the color from the royal icing bleeding if I store it in the fridge?

I've only made b-day cakes for my kids - have never had to transport, so this may be a silly question....if you don't have a box big enough for your cake (I may need to add another tier) do you cover them w/ anything when transporting? Loosely w/ plastic wrap?

Thanks!

4 replies
eatdessert1st Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 5

Hey:
I really like Earlene's and ladycake's charts. I think 2"x2" x3-4" (how tall the cake is) would be generous. You can find Earlene's chart and some others here:

http://ladycakes.com/Charts/main%20page/charts.htm

I haven't ever had problems w/ any type of royal icing flower colors bleeding. They just stay in their own little sphere of reality. The cake colors should be fine refrigerated icon_smile.gif
I also include a print out of how the servings should be cut... I just use ladycake's chart. The average person doesn't have a clue besides cutting huge triangular or square pieces out of cakes. Then they go, "but we ordered 30 servings... how come we only got 10?

HTH,
Melanie Mc.

campeli Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Melanie! That website is very helpful.

ShortcakesSweets Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 5

Two layer 9x13 is 48 servings.

sugarshack Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 5

for my tiered cakes, they just go in a cake box with no lid. no cover. messes up the cake! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%