Store Bought Or Homemade Fondant?

Decorating By countrygirlz Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 3:51pm by toodlesjupiter

countrygirlz Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 16

Just curious if you find more people care for the store bought fondant compared to homemade mmf?? I really enjoy working with it but have only used the rolled foundant from the store and I don't care for the taste so I'm thinking that ppl that I make my cakes for won't like their cake very much when they go to eat it because of the taste.

15 replies
tracycakes Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 16

I've made MMF several times and found it very inconsistent. Sometimes, it turns out great and other times it is way to soft and I can't get it the right consistency. Once, I made 2 batches back to back, one was great, the other was soft. I've recently been buying SatinIce but thinking of trying Michele Foster's or Toba Garrett's fondant.

malishka Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 16

I have enough trouble finding the time to bake my cakes, fill and ice them (make my own icing as well). Homemade fondant would be one more thing on my to do list that I can do without. Tried it once, took too long, so I never did it again.
I used to buy wilton, but everyone complained how bad tasting it was. So I read up on fondant here on the CC, and now Satin Ice is one of my favorites.

sweetness11379 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 16

I also started with Wilton, tried MMF and now use Satin Ice for EVERYTHING! I absolutely love the way it works, tastes and the price isn't that bad if you can afford to buy it in bulk.

jguilbeau Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 16

I now use Satin Ice and add either a llittle almond or creme bouquet extract. I also find rolling it fairly thin helps the taste (no leather texture). It does make it harder to work with rolled thin. But I get people that usually hate fondant tell me mine is great.

Sugarflowers Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 16

This recipe has worked really well for me and has gotten really good reviews: icon_biggrin.gif

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

It's pretty easy to make, it's not too expensive, tastes great, and is very easy to use, color, etc.

I hope you like it.

Michele

Beckalita Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 16

I have tried mmf, rolled buttercream, homemade fondant, and the commercial fondants ~ Satin Ice, Pettinice, and Wilton. The only one people really seemed to dislike was the Wilton (no surprise there) but some people assume all fondant tastes like Wilton's or aren't used to the chewiness of it and peel it off without even trying it. Anyhow, I have had inconsistent results with mmf and homemade fondant sometimes, so I like to keep Satin Ice or Pettinice on hand as a backup to cover cakes. I will only use Wilton fondant to make figures or details that won't be eaten.

lorijom Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 16

I only use Michele Foster's (homemade) with consistent results every time and people love it! I will use purchased fondant for modeling and for covering my cake boards so I keep it in the house...but if it's going to be eaten only Michele's for me icon_smile.gif

doughdough Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 16

I LOVE Michele's recipe for fondant (SugarFlowers)!! It is yummy, and not hard to make at all. I would just suggest coating your countertop w/ shortening & powdered sugar so you don't have sticking issues.

I have used Satin Ice and like that a lot too, but it is way cheaper to just make my own at this point. Maybe one day I will be busy enough to justify buying the big tubs of Satin Ice! icon_wink.gif

TyeRiley Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 16

I've been wanting to try michele Foster's fondant but haven't because I'm a little confused by the recipe. When you mix the milk and gelatin and allow it to firm, does that mean firm like jello? And then do you disolve it over a double boiler? Or do do you disolve the gelatin in the milk over the double boiler? This probably seems like a dumb question but I've never made it and really want to try it but don't want to completely mess it up. Thanks

doughdough Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeRiley

I've been wanting to try michele Foster's fondant but haven't because I'm a little confused by the recipe. When you mix the milk and gelatin and allow it to firm, does that mean firm like jello? And then do you disolve it over a double boiler? Or do do you disolve the gelatin in the milk over the double boiler? This probably seems like a dumb question but I've never made it and really want to try it but don't want to completely mess it up. Thanks

When it says "allow to firm", it just means to let it sit for a couple of minutes until the milk isn't "liquidy" anymore. I just use a regular saucepan and it works great.

There is no such thing as a dumb question!!

countrygirlz Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:13pm
post #12 of 16

wow thanks for all the help I now have a better idea, I also have been using the wilton fondant so that could just be my problem! Thanks again!! icon_smile.gif

TyeRiley Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 16

bakerbear thankyou for answering my questions. I can't wait to try that recipe now.

fbgirl00 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:43pm
post #14 of 16

I made some of Rhonda's Ultimate MMF last weekend and it turned out really good. I had made some MMF before that tasted terrible, the kids wouldn't even eat it and after using Wilton fondant I was hesitant to taste test this recipe but it tasted great and the kids kept stealing pieces of it. I made ribbon roses and some little twirly things with it and found it easy to work with.

AmieW Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:49pm
post #15 of 16

I use a recipe for homemade fondant that doesn't require any stove cooking and it only takes about 30 mins start to finish and only costs about 2 dollars. I've never had a problem with inconsistency and it works great for anything you need it for - modeling, covering..etc. The best part is that it tastes great and I have NEVER had anyone complain about the taste or texture. you can use it right away or refrigerate it for a few weeks. I will never buy store bought fondant ever again!!

toodlesjupiter Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:51pm
post #16 of 16

I've made Michele Foster's Fondant and it is very good, but when I have a ton of things to do, I would much rather buy it. FondX is really tasty ( the closest flavor to the homemade that I've found), and very easy to work with. I'll probably get flamed for this and I'm sorry, but I HATE Satin Ice. To me it tastes like they mixed icing and Play-Doh together and called it fondant. icon_confused.gif Any way, just my 2 cents. icon_biggrin.gif

Amie- Which recipe did you use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%