Emergancy! Help Pleeeasse

Decorating By Karema Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm by Karema

Karema Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 19

Ok so I got a call today for a golf theme cake and I was so excited. Now she asked for a fresh strawberry and whipped filling on one half and the other half a crasata (sp?) filling. She said its a Ricotta type filling. Ok problem I dont know how to make that. I dont even know how to spell it. Does anyone know what she means? What do I do for fresh strawberry filling? Do I cook the strawberry filling? I need help fast. She wants a whipped cream topping. Ok its summer wont whip cream melt? Should I just use bettercreme? I have so many questions. They also want strawberries on top. I was thinking of dipping the strawberries in green white chocolate to resemble trees. What do you guys think? Also I was thinking of charging $3.00 per serving and extra for the figures. What do you think? That just seems like its too much money especially since its for 40 people. TIA

18 replies
Karema Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 19

ok i see no one has answered. Does anyone not know? I have to give her a price today so I needed to know how to make that filling. Does anyone have any suggestions. Can I Bump myself. lol

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 19

If I do a fresh strawberry filing I layer them all cut in small-ish pieces so it cuts & serves wells like a mosaic in between layers of whipped cream.

I would charge at least $4 a serving for a cake like this with two gourmet fillings. Whipped cream icing is maybe doable with a golf theme.

I've never seen a dipped strawberry resemble a tree-- I think I get you but no I would not do that.

I'm at work & I don't recognize what that crassata filling is.

edited to fix typos

foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 19

I just did whipped cream on cuppies over the weekend. The customer didn't listen and let them sit out... The cuppies melted. Is the party indoors or outdoors?

foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 19
LeanneW Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 19

I can't help with all your q's but depending on your market I think your pricing sounds OK. You should definately charge extra if you are making figures but what about the strawberries? If you will have fresh berries in and on the cake $3/serv. might be too little. Go check out the price of berries and get a ballpark for how much the cake will cost you. you might want to bump the price up a bit.

About the melting, if the cake is indoors it should be ok as long as the room isn't 90 degrees. If you do use WC use a stablizer. http://www.prairiemoon.biz/whitcrst2pa.html
you can buy it at Safeway.

You could probably find a ricotta filling in the recipe section here. I think I have seen recipes for canolli filling, if I remember correctly that has ricotta in it.

awolf24 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 19

Links to cassata cake recipes/fillings:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,cassata_cake,FF.html

foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 19

As far as your pricing, Pumpernick n Pastry is less than that for whipped cream... You may have a tough time getting that much...

Karema Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 19

Its a Golf theme not Gold. lol I think the party is indoors but I should double check. FoxyMama you think $3/ serving is too much. You're from buffalo also so you know what our area is like. They are out in williamsville so I have to deliver. So let me get this straight. I should just cut the strawberries up and put them as a filling? The Crasata recipe seems weird. Nuts, chocolate chips and candied cherries? wow. I will double check with the customer to make sure that is what he wants. I was thinking the strawberries on top green to make them look like trees. Thanks guys for all your help. I love you guys.

foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:20pm
post #10 of 19

If they live in Williamsville $3 serving is not a problem thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:39pm
post #11 of 19

$3 a serving is light light light for two different gourmet fillings.

And what I said earlier I typod I meant I have never seen a strawberry resemble a tree. I don't think that will fly on a golf cake. Green strawberries will work like on St. Patty's day.

Karema Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:31am
post #12 of 19

If I frost the cake in whipped cream can I use colored buttercream to decorate it? Will the buttercream colors run onto the whipped cream? My sister said I should charge like $200 but I think someone would almost be out of their mind to pay that much for a sheet cake even if it does include delivery. I looked up the serving charts and they all say 9x13 is enough servings. That just seems too small for 40 people.

foxymomma521 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #13 of 19

try this one

Karema Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:01am
post #14 of 19

Foxymomma I'm loving you tonight. You have been so helpful. I was looking at that chart and if it is a birthday party for a family which one do I go by. That may be silly. But I was just wondering. If they need it for 40 people do I go up to the next size pan? Do I charge them for all those extra servings? I was thinking of doing $4 per serving and include all the figures and charge $20 for delivery. What do you think

MichelleM77 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:17am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

The Crasata recipe seems weird. Nuts, chocolate chips and candied cherries? wow.

I have never heard of a cassata cake like that! icon_confused.gif In my neck of the woods, it's white cake, a vanilla custard-like filling with strawberries, and whipped cream.

wgoat5 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:53am
post #16 of 19

Just for thoughts...

Next time I would tell the customer that you aren't familiar with stuff like this.... if it isn't a filling you are familiar with or a decorating technique you haven't done I'd be sure to say

"Yes Ma'am/Sir , I will gladly do this for you but I have to tell you that I haven't done this particular technique but will definately try my best to accomodate you icon_smile.gif "

Whipped (Dairy) cream products will not do good during the summer... especially if outside OR even by a window streaming lots of sun and heat through it.

Just my thoughts and opinions icon_smile.gif

Sounds yummy

AZCakeGirl Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:14am
post #17 of 19

I agree, I've had customers ask me for certain things before and I find it much more helpful if I'm honest with them & ask them to describe it so I know what type of recipe to look for. It's much better to be upfront & find out what you are supposed to provide than assuming what they want & showing up with the wrong type of cake. Especially since something to one person can be something completely different to another.

foxymomma521 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:26am
post #18 of 19

Why don't you try going to Twin Bakery Supply and buying Rich's bettercreme? Maybe they'd be okay with that? As far as servings, you need to make sure they have enough cake. I charge by party size servings (it's just what works for me) but if the cake you are making only has 36 servings and you need 40, then you have to make a bigger cake and charge for the extra servings....

Karema Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #19 of 19

So I took everyones advice and called the customer and explained to her that I was looking up the recipe and it had nuts, candied fruit, and chocolate chips. She laughed and said that is how her mom use to make it and it is a true sicilian recipe. She said the she preferred just the mini chocolate chips in it. She was so impressed that I knew the recipe. You guys are amazing. She said the party is outdoors. I explained that whipped cream would melt and she said she knows and is going to keep the cake refridgerated until ready to serve. She said that they want fresh whipped cream. I know I should use a stabilizer. I am so excited. I think I can cover the cake in whipped cream then decorate with buttercream (grass) and fondant accents (club and ball) I hope that makes sense. You guys are amazing. I love CC and I am addicted to this site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%