Cake Pan Calculations...help!

Decorating By Nicolle711 Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 3:01pm by Nicolle711

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 8

Hi CC'ers icon_biggrin.gif

I have a dilemma...I have this yellow cake recipe that I love but I have only made the cake in round cake pans. I want to bake the cake in a sheet pan so I can cut out 5", 4" & 3" circles to make mini cakes.

How do I figure out how much batter I need for a sheet cake using this recipe
and how much time will it need to be in the oven???

Any suggestions, tips, links, advice, anything! will be very helpful! Thank you all!!!

7 replies
staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 8

what is the size of the sheet pan and how deep is it?

Nicolle711 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 8

I have a 13"x18" sheet pan that is 1 inch high.

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 8

When I'm in doubt, I just fill up the pan with water and measure the amount that it holds in cups. Than I usually calculate with half or 2/3 of the amount (depends on how high your cakes rise).

Nicolle711 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks Edit icon_biggrin.gif Also, then how do you calculate the bake time? Do you use the original recipes bake time or check it some time before or after the recipes time? THANKS!

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 8

wilton notes typical baking times on its website. unfortunately, they don't have baking times for sheet cakes, but the oval pans seem to be the closest.

even though the oval-shaped pan closest to your sheet pan takes about 35 minutes, it may take less time to bake your cake because the height of the cake batter is less than 1".

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 8

I usually use the Wilton chart as a starting point but I bake at 325, so my cakes bake longer. I check them first at the shortest recommended baking time and go from there. I just add 5 minutes at a time and recheck.

Nicolle711 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you Stacey & Edit. I will certainly take both your suggestions. I do appreciate your help icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%