Business By wgoat5 Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 12:31pm by Donnagardner

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:34am
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cupcakes

Christi,

Where in KY are you?

I understand why you are making this decision. If it's no longer enjoyable, then why put yourself and your family through it?

Friends and family keep asking me to do cakes for them and they refer people to me all the time. I appreciate that they love the taste and designs of my cakes but I don't want to stress over someone else's cake requests. You know? I do cakes and cookies because I love doing them. I want to surprise the birthday girl with a cake. I want to bake for someone. I have a full time job and I don't want the stress of another one. I think I will end up hating to bake and decorate if I have to stress over cake orders.

You are a VERY talented decorator and I hope you keep your passion for cakes. Hugs. icon_smile.gif

Lora Anne

2cupcakes where are you located in ky. I am from louisville.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:00pm
post #32 of 38

I am not good enough to sell a cake, but I do understand all the stress on top of raising a family. I don't know why some of us go through that turning into a monster thing when it comes to a cake which for the most part is for happy occasions! icon_smile.gif I just know I am someone who gets that way for cakes I am giving away... icon_smile.gif Thanks for your candor and I wish you the best!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:01pm
post #33 of 38

I am not good enough to sell a cake, but I do understand all the stress on top of raising a family. I don't know why some of us go through that turning into a monster thing when it comes to a cake which for the most part is for happy occasions! icon_smile.gif I just know I am someone who gets that way for cakes I am giving away... icon_smile.gif Thanks for your candor and I wish you the best!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:13pm
post #34 of 38

Christi -

You know I have your back on this, Girlfriend!

I know you have given this a great deal of thought before making your decision.

Personally, I think you are doing the right thing. If doing cakes for profit is changing your personality, then you are losing your passion for the craft.

And by the way, you are a better decorator than you think you are. You can do any wedding cake you want to, you just don't believe it yet.

Big Hugs -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:16pm
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by icantcook

Just popped in for a quick visit to the site, and Christi, I expected to see my login name at the bottom of your post - I could have written that! Not as well as you wrote it, but I am going through the same thing right now. On days that I am grumpy and SCREAMING at the kids, dh will go look in the cake room to see if there is a project in progress. Pretty bad when they can link them together! And dh asks me, "and you're doing this for FUN? When is the fun part?"

I am keeping my 1 August commitment, but have not accepted any new cake bookings for August. "I am already booked for my family." Haven't decided about September or October yet...

I can relate to all of these posts..and I do NOT know how you guys with small children do this. I have one son still at home who is 11, and he loves to decorate cakes and understands to stay out of everything. I cannot image what it is like with small children.

Personally, I am also going to be closing up shop after all my weddings are done in November. (I stopped doing birthday cakes and such last spring, except for a few regular customers) I don't have any kind of personal life, my DH and I only talk about the business. We spend our entire saturdays deliverying cakes, our sundays doing consultations. Even if I had a week of no cakes, you have to spend the time doing paper work, invoicing, taxes, taking phone calls, etc etc etc. I have decided to go work for someone else, and do cakes for them. Let me have my evenings back, my weekends back...I also want to take classes again (which I can't do while running the business). Perhaps you guys can do the same thing, go work for someone else and take back your personal life...I am so excited, as I feel I get to have my cake and um, decorate it too.

grami948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grami948 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:18pm
post #36 of 38

wgoat5, you have given this sufficient thought & I commend you for your decision. My children are long ago grown & it happened too quickly. Back in the day it took more $$ & time than I could afford to learn to decorate cakes so figured why not try now! Answer to that is my hands don't work well for various reasons that I won't bore you with so I accepted the obvious. No tears, though as I bake WHAT I want WHEN I want to bake it & FOR WHOM I want. I don't have to worry about the 22 cupcakes that ended up frosting side down on my floor a couple days ago. Instead I cleaned it up & baked some cookies which the local dr. office was thrilled to consume. icon_lol.gif I come to CC daily for various reasons but above all I appreciate the creativity, artistic beauty & comradeship I see on this site. Our children are in our lives for such a short time so embrace those moments with them while you have them. Oddly before long you'll see where the 2 can merge giving you joy rather than frustration. I'd NEVER encourage or discourage anyone in anyway... I'm just staying you know yourself & your life better than anyone & there are so many avenues open. You're a wise, loving & creative woman so you'll do just fine! thumbs_up.gif

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:22pm
post #37 of 38

OMgoodnes! icon_eek.gif Thsi is so wierd! I've been thinking this exact thing myself! I have 5 children and get the same way when a cake is due. I'm in a total mood and can't wait for it to be over. I get satisfacition, like you said, but I don't think it's worth the stress. I have one last order to fill...a wedding cake in 2 weeks (which is my first by the way) and it will be my last cake. I hate the stress and tip my hat to those of you who can handle it. thumbs_up.gif
I use to love to bake, now I dread it! I'm going back to hobby baking and taking care of my family like I want to. I'm a great mulit-tasker...but not when I have a cake to do. My world suddenly revolves around it and nothing else. So although I will remain a part of this community because I love all of you, I won't be doing any cakes as a profession. icon_wink.gif

Besides, I must admit...my love of sewing baby bonnets is calling me! Babies are my one true passion in life and I adore seeing a well dressed baby girl wearing a sweet little bonnet! icon_smile.gif
I just wanted you to know you're not alone! We all must do what's best for us. thumbs_up.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:31pm
post #38 of 38

Chrisit, I think you will do just fine doing them as you feel like doing them. Your cakes will be fun to do again also. You have my number if you need me girl ((((HUGS)))))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%