First Official Wedding Cake...and Need Advice!

Decorating By Polkadot79 Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 9:59pm by lillicakes

Polkadot79 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:52am
post #1 of 10

Hi all,

I need some advice about making my first wedding cake. While I am a newbie at it, my mom has made wedding cakes for about 30 I will have back-up VERY close by. She simply doesn't have the time or interest anymore and I've been desperately wanting to get started. icon_smile.gif It must be in our blood!

The cake is a four tier of varying heights...round...stacked without separators. The cake is very simple...moss green fondant. The decorations are green gumpaste blades of grass surrounding the layers. There are small pink gumpaste flowers in bunches grouped sporadically on the cake. The bride is using an inital topper. Overall, the cake has a rather whimsical, fresh, and simple look.

I'm not really that nervous about the decorating part besides...the fondant. I've only made it once before. At the same time, this cake is for a first cousin so it will be highly critiqued. I want something that is going to taste and look good. Another thing, the cake will have to travel an hour to the wedding.

All advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

9 replies
CindiM Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:27am
post #2 of 10

My best idea would be, if you have time, to make a 6 or 8 inch practice cake. When I have a special design, I make a prototype to determine which tools I want to use, the coloring formula and I make sure I have enough supplies on hand. Practice with fondant on a real cake will help you feel more confident. Also, make a small "first aid" kit to take with you, which includes, tape, straws, small spatula, camera, extra dowels, extra butter cream, royal icing, a baggie of extra fondant, extra flowers, toothpicks, a small box for the top cake, etc.
Good luck and have fun. thumbs_up.gif

Polkadot79 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:24am
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the tips...I will be sure to carry that emergency kit. What are your thoughts on fondant and traveling that distance?

CindiM Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 10

You are welcome! Most of my deliveries are 45 minutes to over an hour every weekend. Some times I am going to a beach or I am taking a boat out to a private island. I set my cakes up at the venue. I do as much as possible on the cake so I am only doing finishing trim. I even put the initial topper on the cake and remove it. So when I get there the "holes" are ready and I put the topper back on. I take each tier in a box. Take some of your colored fondant. I remember making a "green color" fondant "band-aid" for the back of a green cake when, I found a small slit in the fondant. It looked great icon_rolleyes.gif
I put the fondant (Satin Ice) on the night before and it travels really well. Use a good buttercream under the fondant, like sugarshacks thumbs_up.gif and you will be a hit.
Good luck, I am taking "my crew" and going to ICES in Orlando in a couple of hours. I am so excited!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Polkadot79 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks...I will definitely look those 2 exact recipes up. I plan to have several trial runs between now and Aug. 9.

Polkadot79 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:51am
post #6 of 10

Here is how my first attempt at making a wedding cake (really any cake for anyone) turned out. My cousin brought me a pic from a wedding book of a fondant cake similar to this, but after trying the fondant on another cake, I decided to use buttercream instead. I need more practice with the fondant!

Everyone at the wedding loved it thankfully!

7yyrt Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 10

Lovely! I really like the little wildflowers in the grass. Very delicate.
How did you make the blades?

Polkadot79 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks! The leaves, flowers, and pearls are gumpaste. For the grass blades, I just rolled it out and started cutting them out free hand. Then, I sponge painted them with green coloring so they would be a little different shade...the painting didn't turn out exactly like I wanted though.

sweettoothmom Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 10

This cake is very pretty. It has a really cleanline feel to it. That is very popular with todays brides. You should be very proud!

lillicakes Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 10

Lovely concept, and nicely done! Congrats!

Quote by @%username% on %date%