No Animal By-Products Cake - Help!!!

Decorating By AZrunner Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 12:52am by bizatchgirl

AZrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZrunner Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:12am
post #1 of 16

Need recipes for sponge and icing that does not require any animal by-products. Tonight if possible - 7/14.

HELP EMERGENCY!!!!!

15 replies
sweetsbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyJ Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:42am
post #2 of 16

Try doing a web search for Vegan recipes. There is a lot out there
Good Luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

LusciousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LusciousCakes Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #3 of 16

You should try vegweb.com tons of vegan recipes!

fairycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairycupcakes Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:40am
post #4 of 16

If you find some good recipes please post them!! I'd love to try some out, but am not in any rush to do so.

Thanks bunches!!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:44am
post #5 of 16

I started a post because I just learned I can't have milk. I found a few people out there who had some good ideas, and somewhere there is a vegan cupcake book. Here is the thread http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6006273-.html#6006273 Hope you find something!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 16

This book rocks, my daughter and her boyfriend and his family are vegan and I make stuff for them outta here all the time.
If you need a specific type of recipe I'll email one to you if you cant find or get your hand son this book. Let me know.
pm me or email me. thumbs_up.gif
http://vegancupcakes.wordpress.com/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1569242739/?tag=cakecentral-20

bizatchgirl Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #7 of 16

Keeping the Castle has some good information on making cakes milk and egg free for allergies. I forgot I'm on their mailing list now and I just got an update! Talking about certain Duncan Hines mixes being egg and milk free. The poster uses Ener-G Egg replacer. You might find some good ideas there!

bizatchgirl Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:56am
post #8 of 16
Horrorxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horrorxgirl Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 16

I have made a vegan buttercream before using Earth balance margarine, which really tastes a lot like butter, more than regular margarine, shortening, vanilla, powdered sugar, and soy milk. I used the Wilton recipe, but just replaced the butter and the milk.
It breaks down easier than regular buttercream though, so you gotta be real careful in the heat.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 16

Hi!

The vegan cupcakes take over the world book is GREAT!!!! Please keep in mind that cooking dairy/egg free does not = vegan. Powdered Sugar, white sugar and white (bleached) flour may not be considered vegan do to the process used to refine them (most use a charcoal method and charcoal has animal bones in it, making the items non-vegan)

here is a Q&A about things considered vegan :
http://www.vegsource.com/jo/qa/qasugar2.htm

Good luck!

AZrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZrunner Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you all for replying. We did find a recipe and yes, using EnerG egg substitute and using mostly soy stuff. I'm a big cake fanatic - that is, the regular, heh em, cakes. We made a vanilla vegan cake with vegan buttercream and rolled icing. The customer really like it covered with the rolled icing.

Thank you all so much for responding! Yes, I would say, that's one hurdle we've jumped alright. I will now advertise that our shop can provide vegan cakes.

I did read about the bleaching used in sugar and flower, that the process may sometimes use bones.

We've learned a lot in our research. I'm an MMF person, and realized, I didn't listen well in my culinary class. Husband remember our chef saying gelatin was an animal by-product. So we ended up doing the rolled buttercream, which the customer really liked. And yes, we did research Crisco's website.

Again, thanks so much!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 11:31am
post #12 of 16

It's so cool to see all the info and try to really be informed and correctly too!
Thanks for all the info everyone provided, it really helped all.Now my daughter says I am more aware of the animal issues...... icon_wink.gif
I do try...

bizatchgirl Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #13 of 16

I recently learned about the marshmallows too. I knew gelatin wasn't vegetarian, but I didn't realize marshmallows have gelatin in them. My little sister is vegetarian and she kindly informed me that I could not make a marshmallow icing I've been dying to try from my Cake Doctor book.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:37pm
post #14 of 16

It's hard to find vegan sugar.. most people don't realize that sugar isn't a vegan product.

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:32pm
post #15 of 16

I had to make a vegan carrot cake once and found that you can boil flaxseed and use the "slim" as egg white substitute! Then used carob,pineapple and applesauce for sweeteners. Vegan cream cheese (Melissa's) Cake turned out tasting fantastic! It is very dense so don't expect it to raise as a normal cake would.

bizatchgirl Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:52am
post #16 of 16

You know, I now have to guard this site with alarms and barbed wire fencing. My little sis is great and I love that she's vegetarian. I love that she's still a teenager and she took what I was sure would be a fad and stuck to it. She's almsot 16 and she's going on 3 years vegetarian now. The problem is, she can't cook so she takes the easy way out with foods and ends up living of french fries and milkshakes and Taco Bell. I'm happy to cook homemade stuff for her when she's with me. I will conveniently not tell her about the suger or the iron in her multivitamins so she doesn't cut these out too. Some things she'll just have to learn on her own if she wants to stick to this. I did tell her about anchovies in Caesar dressing and beef flavoring in McDonald's fries icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%