I Don't Own An Agbay Leveler, But I Have An Idea For Torting

Decorating By Maria_Campos Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm by ShopGrl1128

Maria_Campos Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #1 of 8

Ok every once in a while I go to the Agbay website and drool and cry over that leveler icon_cry.gif, I can never get my cake perfectly torted straight, for the life of me, and I hate that stupid large wilton leveler, it's useless to me, I rather do it by hand!

So while I was pondering on inventing my own homemade leveler, (until I can buy my very own deluxe Agbay with all the trimmings) this it the idea I came up with, someone may have already thought of it, and anyway I will try it out this week.

OK, here is my idea, it is really simple that it almost sounds stupid, but you know how you use your cake pan to level the top of your cake; putting a little more batter in the pan to bake, and after it has baked and completely cooled on a rack you place it back in the pan it was baked in, then cut off the excess of the top by using the pan's rim as a guide. So I was thinking of using form core board half as thick as the cake maybe 1" thick more or less, cut it to fit in the pan and then place the cake in the pan and tort, you see the form core will raise the cake high enough above the rim of the pan so you can tort it just like if you are leveling. Of course you will have to adjust the form core or card boards thickness so you can get the cake raised up just at the right height above the rim of the pan to get it in the middle of the cake.

So this is my poor folk torting invention, and I will be testing it out this week. If you try it let me know how it works out for you, until then I will still be dreaming of my Agbay Deluxe icon_rolleyes.gif

7 replies
alanahodgson Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:32am
post #2 of 8

Actually....I think you may have something there! What a great idea! Let us know how it turns out for you!

aswartzw Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 8

This actually sounds like it would work! Congrats on a great idea.

Ruby2uesday Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 8

oooooh, let me know how that works out for you! sounds like an interesting idea!!!

Solecito Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 8

Very good idea!!

kyhendry Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 8

Brilliant!

dandelion56602 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:44am
post #7 of 8

Oh, can't wait to see how it works. I HATE torting cakes & would love to have 3 or 4 layers of cake, but you don't understand how much I hate to torte! You might want to cover it w/ some cellophane, or at least some wax paper so you're not having to constantly replace your foamcore

ShopGrl1128 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

Ok every once in a while I go to the Agbay website and drool and cry over that leveler icon_cry.gif, I can never get my cake perfectly torted straight, for the life of me, and I hate that stupid large wilton leveler, it's useless to me, I rather do it by hand!

So while I was pondering on inventing my own homemade leveler, (until I can buy my very own deluxe Agbay with all the trimmings) this it the idea I came up with, someone may have already thought of it, and anyway I will try it out this week.

OK, here is my idea, it is really simple that it almost sounds stupid, but you know how you use your cake pan to level the top of your cake; putting a little more batter in the pan to bake, and after it has baked and completely cooled on a rack you place it back in the pan it was baked in, then cut off the excess of the top by using the pan's rim as a guide. So I was thinking of using form core board half as thick as the cake maybe 1" thick more or less, cut it to fit in the pan and then place the cake in the pan and tort, you see the form core will raise the cake high enough above the rim of the pan so you can tort it just like if you are leveling. Of course you will have to adjust the form core or card boards thickness so you can get the cake raised up just at the right height above the rim of the pan to get it in the middle of the cake.

So this is my poor folk torting invention, and I will be testing it out this week. If you try it let me know how it works out for you, until then I will still be dreaming of my Agbay Deluxe icon_rolleyes.gif

OMG!!! I did the exact same thing on my last cake last Friday and it works PERFECTLYâ¦I used a combination of ½â and 3/16â foam board to get the height I desired and used the pan edge to level my knife and to cut; I also used some un-waxed dental floss to cut the middleâ¦the âdental floss techniqueâ is magic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%