Courses...

Decorating By JaneDee Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm by saap1204

JaneDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneDee Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:24am
post #1 of 32

I took Wilton course 1 & 2 but did not feel they were for me.

Does anyone know of anyone who does their own classes or a bakery or somewhere that offers classes or something?
I live in Richmond, Virginia.

Cost isn't really important to me right now because this is all I've been wanting to do, I just can't seem to locate anyone online that offers this. Seems like a few years ago I found some websites of a few women that held courses but I cannot remember who or where they were.

Thank you so much!!!

31 replies
CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:35am
post #2 of 32

What didn't you like about the wilton courses?

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #3 of 32

Where did you take your courses? I took all four at a Michaels in Chesterfield. I live in Amelia. I learned a lot from my instructor. What are you trying to learn? Perhaps we could get together and share knowledge.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:14am
post #4 of 32

I think you got a new instructor...it really depends on the years of experience of that person!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:30am
post #5 of 32

I agree with tonedna,

I think it depends on 2 things.

Experience of the teacher in 1. cake decorating and their 2. ability to teach.

If they are not so good at either one, it wont work for you.

Good Luck.

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:34am
post #6 of 32

JaneDee,
I just left Newport News, and I took my classes from a private cake supply store named Creative Touch...they teach wilton courses however because its a private store, they are able to teach you outside of "the wilton way" ..I took Course 2,3 and fondant and gumpaste(nothing like what wilton shows)..they also have rolled fondant courses, cookie courses and different types of gumpaste flower courses...I know its about an hr outside of Richmond but believe me you will enjoy the course and the instructor Jessica is great....I did every course she offered....hth..If you do decide to go tell them I said hello!!!
Yajaira

JaneDee Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:11am
post #7 of 32

Well as for the Wilton classes at Michaels (the one right off midlothian by the chesterfield mall) there were a few people always late so I just felt that we didn't have time to get started and have the time it takes to actually let the teacher help us. I never did get my roses right and she didn't even help me all that much with them, she would just tell us all that we were doing fine. I think the certificates don't mean much to me since 1. it was mostly stuff I had already taught myself 2. i couldn't do certain things but yet i still got it. lol i know its just for the sake of the class... i doubt anyone really ever DIDNT get one but still. I want to feel like i actually learned something new and not really perfected it but feel comfortable doing it.

I don't mind the drive out of richmond, I actually would probably enjoy it.

Also the teacher wouldn't teach us non wilton ways and some ways of wilton just werent working for me... just like the rose.

I want to learn about fondant and covering cakes with it but i really don't want to waste the money to go to michael again because it's just not enough time and i want to know other non wilton alternatives.

Anyway, thank you.

I definitely wish I had a few friends who I could meet up with and learn from, i couldn't share too much because i only know the basics but I love decorating cakes, just wish i could learn how to do so, better.

sorry for the lengthy post.

going to bed now but will check back tomorrow...

mgdsue I'm going to send you a message tomorrow =)

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:44am
post #8 of 32

I had a feeling you might reply something like this. I had similar problems in my first course. It all really comes down to your teacher. The 2,3, & fondant courses went a lot better for me. It got to be more people actually interested in making cakes for a living. I would definitely say something to the store manager. There are a lot good instructors out there just waiting to fill her position. My instructor did a great job of going out & beyond the course books & moved into other criteria when we felt we weren't learning.

troyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
troyfan Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:05am
post #9 of 32

Don't jump on my case, but WMI's are there to teach you the technique, it's your responsibility to go home and practice. Put yourself in their shoes, if you had to go around and make sure every student made the perfect rose, the class would have to be longer than four hours.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:16am
post #10 of 32

What about the 3 Sugarshack DVDs?

I don't have them yet (but dying to get them) but I hear they are very very good.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:01am
post #11 of 32

I have the SS DVD's and the Cake Genie DVD's
( http://www.cakegenie.com/ ). I learned a some great skills from each of them. Good Luck! HTH!

Kim

JaneDee Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 32

Yes I've been wanting to order some DVDs but I also just asked my dh if I could order some Satin Ice to try along with the question if he would mind paying for me to take some other class for this. lol But anyway

Our Wilton classes were two hours long, not sure if you meant that or if you did mean four. And trust me I practiced all the time and couldn't get it right until I learned other methods on my own. Plus not just the teacher (which I didn't say that's what it was) but I think it's a little ridiculous for the price of the class, the kit, then everything you have to get that's not included in the kit. I just don't want to pay for something like that, that isn't really helping me all that much.

Maybe I will just try to order some DVDs first and see how that goes, so anyone who could recommend the best DVD's please do! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you so much!

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:12pm
post #13 of 32

I totally understand what you mean, I started Wilton 1 last month and wound up dropping out. I was soooo bored with it and couldnt bare to go after the second class and got as fat as the rainbow cake. The teacher was so monotonous. I'm not sure if you can skip to the Wilton Fondant course without completing the other courses though. I am so new to this and have only done 3 cakes so I thought course 1 would be perfect but I was wrong. Hopefully I can find another alternative in Orlando but in the meantime I just got the Sugarshack videos, I cant wait to try it!

JaneDee Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 32

I was told that you just had to complete course 1 before you skip any. But I was also told I didn't need anything for course 2 and that was a big fat lie. No one gave me the paper and I thought maybe after the first one you just didn't get that anymore. I even called to make sure and they told me I should be fine. Heh I made do with using some of the teachers icing and icing onto a paper towel but I think that contributes to why I didn't like the Wilton classes.

I've been trying to convince him to let me buy the dvds but I've also been asking for a lot lately (mostly all things to get for cakes.) And I don't think he is taking me serious anymore lol. I couldn't help but want new and interesting things to try on cakes. icon_razz.gif Like satin ice... my mother stopped by the other day and we got into talking about it but she claims she didn't know about the whole fondant on wedding cakes... It shocked me because I've told her about it ever since I lived in her house!

Sorry for the length, rambling on is apparently what I do best. icon_biggrin.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:50pm
post #15 of 32

Have you checked with your local school district - some that have a vocational school offer adult classes on the weekends, nights, and during the summer that teach from cake decorating to computer classes. That would be a good place to start to look for a class.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #16 of 32

First thing I would tell you is so check into ICES!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

their website is: ices.org Go to the LINKS page and there is a link to Sugar Artists.

On the home page there is a list on activities/clubs, and listed is a VA club called CASANoVA. check them out at www.cakeclub.com

both ICES and the cake club are great places to find local cake shops that give classes and traveling teachers.

OR...you can always e-mail B. Keith Ryder (ICES President and all-around nice guy and traveling teacher/demonstrator). thumbs_up.gif I think he lives in the DC area. [email protected]

HTH

JaneDee Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:22pm
post #17 of 32

Ah okay!

Thank you thank you thank you!! icon_smile.gif

Ferra1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ferra1 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #18 of 32

I had a problem with my istructor also...I didn't complete course 1, mainly because I got sick and missed a couple of classes. When I did call to mention that I was ill and wanted to know what I missed so I could practise (I was hoping for a quick recovery), I was rudely informed that the class last class and well as the next class were cancelled. Unfortunately, I didn't recover as quickly as I would have liked. But when I was in classes she was mainly concerned with selling her own products (class was taught in her store) than helping. I remember there I was doing a technique she had just shown us and she came around to me and said "that's wrong" didn't tell me what I was doing wrong...just it's wrong. icon_rolleyes.gif Gee thanks. Great instruction there. She just didn't seem to enjoy it (IMO). I guess it didn't help I was getting sick.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm
post #19 of 32

Are you complaining about what they tought or about all the supplies and tools that were required? No matter who teaches the classes or where you take them you do have to have the right tools to get the best result. I'm sure you've already figured out that cake decorating is a very expensive hobby and requires hours and hours of practice. Maybe I'm reading this wrong, if so please ignore my response.

ainsleyandmatthewmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ainsleyandmatthewmom Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:19pm
post #20 of 32

Sorry to hear you haven't enjoyed the wilton classes! Over the years I've taken courses 1, 2, 3 (twice actually, after they changed the course content), and a few other special classes like candies and cookies. Currently I'm taking the Fondant and Gumpaste class. After all these wilton classes with various instructors, some classes taken at Michaels and others taken at a local cake supply store (still wilton method), I've learned a few things. For starters, the experience level of wilton instructors is very varied! And for another, some people just aren't gifted in teaching, whether or not they are gifted in cake decorating. Know what I mean? What I got most out of the classes were the basic techniques, as well as ideas on what tips to use for various things, "how to's" of using fondant, and just some new ideas.

Honestly though?? I've learned TONS more on this awesome website, but this is after having learned the basic skills through the wilton classes. Those instructors, I believe, are kinda bound to the wilton method. If you catch a "good" one, pick her (or his) brain after class or before class on things they've personally learned from experience. For example, the teacher I have currently in this gumpaste class is incredible, and is very willing to share his techniques "off the record". LOL

Also, a lot of what I've learned has been through trial and error and practice, practice, practice! I've made lots of ugly cakes through the years, but it's all been in attempting things that were intimidating to me. And after coming to this forum, I'm attempting even more things!!!

Keep at it!! icon_smile.gif

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:23pm
post #21 of 32

My mom took a wilton course over 30 years ago loved it she did birthday cakes,baby shower,grauation cakes for years she said take a class you will love it. Well I thought I would try it so I didn't tell my mom I thought I would surprise her. I started at a cake store by my house first class had to many people in it not enough room for everyone the teacher was always in a rush and would say we will go over it again and if we don't get to it it is in the book go home and practice on to coarse 2 half the people in the class new more than the teacher they worked a bakeries around town
and the teacher was more into learning what they knew. On to course 3 in this class only me and one other person so I thought I would finally learn something from her since I didn't feel I learned much in her first 2 classes
not so on the last night of my 3rd course my mom came to visit so I had to tell her that I had started classes and it was my last class would she like to go with me she was very excited to go . On the way home my mom said that was the most unprofessional teacher she had ever seen
not only was she not organized she didn't put and pride in her appearance
[hair messy,food stained shirt] so I think it is the teacher my mom told me not to give up so I went to a different cake store and they teach wilton and there way and I am finally learning sorry so long don't give up

JaneDee Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:24pm
post #22 of 32

Not sure who you're saying is complaining, because the first thing I mentioned was I wasn't worried about cost of other classes... I do however believe that the Michaels classes aren't worth my money (or time)....

But anyway, thank you for the dvd info to the other ladies and the ICES info. icon_smile.gif

JaneDee Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #23 of 32

Yes I definitely think it depends on the teacher. I am just looking for something more than the two hour a week Michaels classes. Also I think it'd be nice to be able to sign up for a class and know that the teacher knows what they are doing and are good teachers at (thats the purpose of course) so I really don't want to try again with Michaels but I'll keep looking around and see what can be found. Perhaps after getting DVDs I'll just continue to teach myself. =)

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #24 of 32

JaneDee give me a pm...would love to know who your teacher was in this area. Also exactly where you are in regards to Chesterfield/Amelia.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #25 of 32

Wilton method instructors are just that, Wilton method. We are bound not only by the Wilton method, but the program itself, and what is available in the Michael's stores. Going too far out of bounds could cost us our jobs. This method teaches basics, but does revolve around Wilton product, and does not cover everything but it isn't for everyone.

Some stores have staff that are educated on what is needed and not. I find every time a new front end supervisor is on board, there are screw ups. I enjoy them as I learn things my students have already experienced, but I know that I am better now that I was when I started 6 1/2 years ago.
It is too bad about the bad experiences though as it gives the store and the program a bad name. You should contact the store and complain there or even escalate to Wilton by providing the name of the instructor who was not helpful. It is important feedback that I know Wilton does want to hear.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:01pm
post #26 of 32

I am currently taking the Fondant/Gumpaste class at Michael's. I am disappointed that we will only be learning how to make 3 flowers. The main reason I signed up for the class was to learn how to make different flowers. If I had known ahead of time I probably wouldn't have taken the class. But I will be able to learn some new techniques and every bit of new info is helpful and will help me improve.

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #27 of 32

as a WMI, i want to say a few things. from my experience wilton is not going to give you all the knowledge to be the next Collette. i think it was made to give an introduction to cake decorating. It is meant for Sussie homemaker who wants to make cakes for family and friends. I took all the classes, went home and took what i learned and just practiced and tried different techniques. every cake i make is still a learnign experience. I also have to say, you get what you pay for. The most a wilton class costs at michaels is $35. (in july it is only $7.5.) over 4 weeks at 2 hours a week is $4.30ish an hour. HELLO!! that is so cheap. Any class you take you are going to need equipment. And 10% off all your supplies, plus there is always a coupon form Jo-annn, or Ac moore or hobby lobby or michaels for 40%. If you want to learn more you need to pay for more.

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:15pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg10148

My mom took a wilton course over 30 years ago loved it she did birthday cakes,baby shower,grauation cakes for years she said take a class you will love it. Well I thought I would try it so I didn't tell my mom I thought I would surprise her. I started at a cake store by my house first class had to many people in it not enough room for everyone the teacher was always in a rush and would say we will go over it again and if we don't get to it it is in the book go home and practice on to coarse 2 half the people in the class new more than the teacher they worked a bakeries around town
and the teacher was more into learning what they knew. On to course 3 in this class only me and one other person so I thought I would finally learn something from her since I didn't feel I learned much in her first 2 classes
not so on the last night of my 3rd course my mom came to visit so I had to tell her that I had started classes and it was my last class would she like to go with me she was very excited to go . On the way home my mom said that was the most unprofessional teacher she had ever seen
not only was she not organized she didn't put and pride in her appearance
[hair messy,food stained shirt] so I think it is the teacher my mom told me not to give up so I went to a different cake store and they teach wilton and there way and I am finally learning sorry so long don't give up

same thing happened here with course 2 for wilton-too many people and not enough room. course 3 was even worse, so i dropped it after the first week. icon_sad.gif

JaneDee Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:53am
post #29 of 32

Okay... PHEW.

Let me start off one more time by reminding all the instructors posting here or people trying to defend them that I was simply asking about other courses in my area or Virginia, I never intended to get everyones panties in a twist over this. It seems to me that anytime I try to ask one question it seems to be turned around to sound like something mean toward something. I simply stated the Wilton classes weren't for me. And yes that is because of the particular Michael's I took the classes at and the teacher I got. I have nothing against her and I know she is there to teach us some Wilton things but I am looking for a real class where I am going to actually learn a whole lot and get the time and help I need to know what I am even taking home to practice. I feel the teacher was very nice and knew what she was doing but maybe wasn't the best at teaching to other people. Had I just listened to what she taught us and she didn't make sure I was doing it right, I would have gone home and been frustrated that what I was doing was not coming out right no matter how much practice I put in to it, simply because there was no time or effort from the teacher/class to make sure I knew what I was doing wrong or right.

Now... I am not trying to keep this post going, getting everyone upset over something that was never said so please don't keep trying to tell me about the classes or teachers. I understand completely what you guys are trying to defend about the way the teacher has to teach Wilton only and that the class isn't there to give us all the cake decorating instructions that we could ever learn. I simply was curious (when I first posted) what other REAL classes were out there for me to take! That's all!

Well, I don't really have much else to say but thank you once again to the few people who tried to help me instead of take my question the wrong way. (And I don't mean to sound mean when I say that)

Sorry for the lengthy post but I just wanted to try to explain that I simply wanted to know about other courses, mentioning that I had already taken some Wilton ones and didn't want to take anymore of them. Because I knew that if I hadn't said I had taken them those would be the most recommended.

Wow okay now you've really got me rambling. I can just hear my dh now... "You're writing them another novel...."

Sorry again to anyone who took that darn question the wrong way or anything else I said. And thank you.

Phew I got to give CC a break for a while, I learn so much from here (I don't use any other websites for information) but I know better now than to ask another question on the forum. heh

Good night

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:48pm
post #30 of 32

I totally understand you! I felt the same way... I am fortunate enough to be in Orlando and have the Notter School right here where Collete Peters teaches! icon_biggrin.gif Now I just need to come up with $820.00 for the course. icon_sad.gif Anyone wanna sponsor me! icon_lol.gif lmao! JK

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%