Very Confused By Sheet Cake Size And Servings

Decorating By shanasweets Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 2:16am by indydebi

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:01am
post #1 of 4

I am very confused. I have a wilton 12 x 18 pan, 1 1/2-2 in depth. Is this a half a sheet or what. It takes me 3 receipes to fill this pan. I told someone today I would make a driver license cake today for 55.00. But told her this was a sheet cak size. Didn't dawn on me till later I don't think it is a full sheet cake. I think I can get aprox 50 servings out of it. I think she needs for 60 people. She is going to call me tonight and tell me what her husband thinks. I can make cupcakes to go with it if she needs more servings. I have looked at the wilton site, it list 4 sizes under sheet for 2 in layers, dbl layer or 3 sizes for for 3 in pans. Now I looked at pricing of others in the area, and she charges 36.00 for half sheet and 55.00 for sheet cake. This is for a co worker, but still I am very confused. What constitutes half and full sheet cakes. I thought 9 x 13 is a quarter?

3 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:14am
post #2 of 4

It serves about 50 people. I consider this a half a sheet cake (but some consider an 11x15 a half sheet). A 9x13 serves around 15, an 11x15 about 35 servings. Her safest bet if she doesn't want a 12x18 would be to do a double layer 11x15 or 2 11x15's side by side which will give her around 70 servings depending on how the cake gets cut.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:15am
post #3 of 4

I have a 12x18 and I always thought that was 1/2 sheet too. It took 3 mixes for me also. So, just by the servings on the box I figured 45 servings.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:16am
post #4 of 4

Figuring the servings on a sheet is pretty simple ... easier than on rounds! Determine how big the piece is going to be ... standard size for sheet is 2x2x2 .... so a 12x18 would be cut in 6 rows by 9 columns = 54 servings.

11x15 ... cut in 2x2x2 .... will be approx 5 rows by 7 columns = 35 servings.

And I never use the term "full" or "half". Because cake civilians have no idea what size those are anyway ... they're just using the lingo. had one guy ask me for a price on a "full" sheet cake. My standard reply is "How many people do you need to serve?" He said, "Oh, about ten."

TEN?????? icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%