Dowel Rods. Help!

Decorating By snowynight Updated 23 Aug 2016 , 2:31pm by TheMrsWalker1

snowynight Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:23am
post #1 of 12

When making a stacked wedding cake and you want to put a dowel rod down the center into all 3 layers to hold it, where can you find dowel rods that long? The wilton rods are definitely not long enough. I'm afraid to use any dowel rod because I did that one time and it left an awful taste in the cake. That was a long time ago I'm still leary of using just anything.
Could someone tell me what they use. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks Alot

11 replies
summernoelle Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:38am
post #2 of 12

Home Depot, Hobby Lobby, places like that have them. You just have to go to the wood working or lumber section.

snowynight Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:06am
post #3 of 12

The one that I used was from Michaels. It must of been treated with something but it was the one that left the taste in the cake. I will check out home depot and see about theirs. Thanks for the tip I knew I could count on friends here at CC!

leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:13am
post #4 of 12

Or you could use SPS and not have any dowels in your cake. icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:26am
post #5 of 12

I use bamboo skewers mostly. They are 12" long so plenty to go thru the boards for 3 tiers.

smoore Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:42am
post #6 of 12

When I need longer dowels, I just get them in the hobby store, but the thought of everyone touching them, etc... kind of grosses me out. So, after I cut it down to size and sharpen one end, I roll it in foil. It never interferes with going through the boards and gives me peace of mind.

TheMrsWalker1 Posted 12 Aug 2016 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 12

I need a dowel rod that is going to be at least 18", I have  a three tiers and a minnie mouse styrofoam half ball topper, where can I find food safe dowels that long?

Frank68 Posted 12 Aug 2016 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 12

Agree with Leah - I use SPS and never use center dowel rods. I moved away from wood a long time ago, no need to worry about leaning cakes and the delivery.

TheMrsWalker1 Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 12

I hate to sound dumb, but what is SPS?

leah_s Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 12

Single Plate System made by Bakery Crafts.  Except that I'm not sure they still make it!  If not, there's a very similar system from Coast.

mahtc2016 Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 12

Wrap your wooden  dowel rod in a thin strip of plastic wrap so the cake won't get that funny taste. I do it all the time.

TheMrsWalker1 Posted 23 Aug 2016 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for the ideas I never even thought to just wrap the dowels in plastic wrap!!! Also going to check into the SPS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%