Raspberry Mousse Filling

Baking By BCo Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 4:25pm by fiddlesticks

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:22am
post #1 of 35

I am in need of an EASY raspberry mousse filling for a white cake - I appriciate any help or suggestions anyone may have!!

Could I mix a raspberry puree into dreamwhip? Would that be "mousse" like?

Please and Thank You!

Brandie

34 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:35am
post #2 of 35

What about blending raspberry filling (the sleeved kind, like from Henry & Henry or Lawrence) and whipped cream? You could add a bit of sugar and 10x to cool whip to stabilize it. It's not a true mousse maybe...but it would certainly be good! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:44am
post #3 of 35

raspberry puree into dreamwhip? Yes That will work, or the Red raspberry sleeves( delicious) Mixed into the bettercreme ( if its available ) in your area !

BCo Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:01am
post #4 of 35

Yes- I believe we do not have bettercream in my area so I thought the next best thing might be the dreamwhip - would I have to add anything else to the dreamwhip or will it just be ok with straight up dreamwhip with the added raspberry?

Thanks so much - I'm trying to "satisfy" a 16yr old!! LOL - She and her mother called me today wondering if I could fit them in for this weekend - they procede to ask me to do a topsy turvey cake with all these bells and whistles, zebra stripes, stars on wires, a gumpaste #16 and lots of glitter!! Oh and could you do two different mousse fillings????? It's only for 50 ppl so it's not that big!!! Sure - no problem! I will be costing you!!!

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:07am
post #5 of 35

I think it should be ok ,but if it seems thinner then you want I would add a little p.sugar. I would go with the bettercreme if it was me I think its more like a mousse, but if already have the dreamwhip use it and also maybe just whip it a little on the think side ,add less milk then it says?

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #6 of 35

Oh and make sure you cost her well LOL!!! She doesent want much does she ? geezzzzz!

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #7 of 35

This is the recipe I always use. It's from this site and super yummy!

Serves/Yields: filling for 2 9x13 cakes or one thick layer
Prep. Time: 5 mins.
Cook Time: none
Category: Fillings
Difficulty: Easy

1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 15 oz Polander seedless rasberry all fruit
1 8 oz tub cool whip

whip cream chesse in mixer add all fruit combine well. Whip in cool whip. Put in refrigerator for 30 mins to set.
Source:
Contributed by: 2boysmom on Thursday, September 15. 2005 at 15:41:02

More Recipes of 2boysmom

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:25am
post #8 of 35

If you add raspberry puree to SMBC it is exactly like raspberry mousse. I use it as my raspberry filling all the time. SOOOOOOOOO good and it holds up like a dream. If you mix whipped cream with raspberry puree or jam it wil melt down when it gets warm.. the SMBC holds up at room temp and beyond.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:45am
post #9 of 35

jkalman, This sounds delicious can I have your exact recipe?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:56am
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

raspberry puree into dreamwhip? Yes That will work, or the Red raspberry sleeves( delicious) Mixed into the bettercreme ( if its available ) in your area !

Actually, I have taken the sleeve raspberry filling, mixed it with my buttercream, added a little extra milk and whisked away! It was DELISH!!

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #11 of 35

loriemoms.. Yes I do that to but she was looking for more of a mousse and It made me think of the bettercreme! But it is good in the buttercream to !

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

loriemoms.. Yes I do that to but she was looking for more of a mousse and It made me think of the bettercreme! But it is good in the buttercream to !

with the added milk and using the whisk, it gets very light and creamy. And its doesnt break down like cool whip, dream whip, etc....I use it all the time! I made an "italian cream" using the cream cheese sleeve!!!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:22am
post #13 of 35

Here is another one.
1 Can Raspberry pie filling
2 boxes of raspberry jello
3/4 cup boiling water for the jello
1 16 oz tub of whipping topping.

mix the jello powder and boiling water in a med bow until granules are gone. Take the bowl and place in on top of a larger bowl filled lined with ice.

Mix until jello is jellied a bit, add the pie filling, then add the whip topping. Depending on how thick you want it you can use 2 containers of whip cream.

Also makes a great desert on it's own.

Good Luck.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaBlondie

jkalman, This sounds delicious can I have your exact recipe?

Sure.. icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5453-0-The-Well-Dressed-Cake-Swiss-Meringue-Buttercream-with-variations.html

That's the SMBC and here's a post I did about how to make it..

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594605-.html

Then I just take a bag of frozen red raspberries and bring it to a boil in a sauce pan with 1/2 cup or more of sugar.. then put it through a fine mesh strainer to get the seeds out and then put the strained puree back in the sauce pan (cleaned of any seeds) and add about 3-5 TBSP of cornstarch dissolved in the juice of 1/2 a lemon and some water if needed. WHen it comes to a boil for a minute or two it's done.. remove from the heat and add about a TBSP of lemon zest and let this cool. Add it into the SMBC and you are good to go. I don't usually make a full batch of raspberry SMBC and I do it to taste.. but you should be able to add at least a cup to the full batch.. the more you add the more intense the raspberry tang will be and it is SOOOOOOOOOOOO good. icon_smile.gif If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. icon_smile.gif You can do it with strawberry puree too.. it is good too.. tastes like strawberry ice cream.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:33am
post #15 of 35

Wow, thanks a lot for this recipe & detailed instructions. It does sound sssoooooo good icon_biggrin.gif Can't wait to try a batch!

BCo Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:13am
post #16 of 35

Thank you guys for all the suggestions!!! I'm sure I'll be able to pick one out of the bunch!!!

I sent them the price quote and haven't heard back yet!! I may not be needing the recipe afterall!! I told them they needed to let me know asap so I could get everything going - cakes like the one she wants takes a lot of prep time, I don't think a lot of people realize that!

Thank you again!
Brandie

BCo Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #17 of 35

Well I went to my local cake store and low and behold guess what I found... Rich's Bettercream!! They carry it - I had no idea! They had it in a back room (not visible to shoppers) in a refridgerator! I saw it on a list taped to the counter saying it wasn't part of a sale - but anyway I said, oh you carry Rich's and he was like, yes we sure do!! So I grabbed one!! It was $5.29 for the carton - does that sound right?

I also just bought a new airbrush - so I picked up some supplies for that!! It's such a teeny tiny store and it's jammed pack literally from floor to ceiling with cake/candy making stuff! I could be in there all day and still not see everything! Everytime I go I find something new I didn't know they carry!!

So anyway - if they decide they want the cake I now have the bettercream to try. Do I have to do anything special with it besides whip it up as per the directions and then just fold in the raspberry?

thanks again!
Brandie

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm
post #18 of 35

Is it the pink and white carton thats 32oz? Everyone pays somewhere in that price range for it !

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:29pm
post #19 of 35

Heres one that Melvira swears by ! and yes it is good !
You want a super easy mousse?? This ROCKS... put 2 cups of bettercreme in your mixer bowl, add half a cup of milk, and one (4 serving) package of any flavor of pudding, whip until fluffy. (Only takes a minute!) This is so amazingly yummy!!! And it can be used to fill and ice cupcakes or cakes too! Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
I always add any flavors or the filling sleeves in the bettercreme before I whipp it . Im not sure if you can fold in the puree or not .

BCo Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:29pm
post #20 of 35

yup! that's it!

now is this stuff sweet? Is it like whipped cream but thicker?

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:44pm
post #21 of 35

yep, Most people think its less sweet then buttercream , Its thicker and PLEASE dont over whipp!! whip it till its thick but not butter LOL! no matter what just whip till its thick enough ! The first time I made it I didnt let it whip long enough and it was like melted coolwhip LOL!! You can also whip it right out of the freezer its not frozen solid. shake it well first though. Its so yummmy ! I keep several in the freezer all the time .Is fast and simple !

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #22 of 35

If you look in my photos the Oreo cupcakes I posted a few days ago have a swirl on top and they are bettercreme and you can see how thick is it !

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #23 of 35

save

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm
post #24 of 35

A traditional style would be to make a buttercream with egg yolks either Neo classical, IMBC or SMBC and add a seedless raspberry puree.

Trust me once going tradional you will not go any other way. It is absolutely the cat's meow.

BCo Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm
post #25 of 35

thanks guys - I can't wait to try it!!!

Brandie

BCo Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:12pm
post #26 of 35

Ok - so after all of this searching and asking about the raspberry mousse her mom called me to make a zillion changes - she didn't like the price I quoted so she wanted to start cutting out stuff (shocker - aparently the girl was wanting the stars and mom wasn't willing to pay!) so they nixed the raspberry mousse and now just want strawberry preserves! Ok - can do!

But she does still want one layer to be chocolate mousse - so I guess I can just use the recipe above with the bettercream and add chocolate pudding?? Or is there a better way to do it?

thanks again for all of your help - I hope this whole cake turns out ok - the girl wanted perfection at any price - the mom said she'll have to make due!!! LOL

Brandie

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:49pm
post #27 of 35

Yes the recipe I posted with the bettercreme ,milk ,pudding will work well, or you can add some Hershey Ice cream topping to it then whip it ! Its all delicious ! with the milk, pudding, is more creamy type and bettercreme with just a syrup added it more of a whipped filling ! Just what ever type you want ! Its all good !

BCo Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:27pm
post #28 of 35

Thanks fiddlesticks - so just the plain Hershey's chocolate syrup? That would be great - I don't feel like having to go to the store again!! I think I'm out of pudding so one less trip would be nice if I can just use plain old choc. syrup! I have a ton of it!!!

thanks again

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm
post #29 of 35

yes ice cream topping, any of the hersheys syrups they have the choc malt /strawberry, peanut butter plain choc,just give it a pretty good amount .Taste it and make sure its the flavor you want and whipp it up ! It will change the color,but if they want choc Im sure color wont matter. Hope it works out for ya !

BCo Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:59pm
post #30 of 35

great - thank you so much!! I will let you know how it turns out!! I am going to try to get it done tonight!!

thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%