Need Ideas For Backyardigans Cake

Decorating By Jewelsx19 Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 5:53pm by mridula

Jewelsx19 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 10

My sons 4th birthday is coming up, and he has requested a backyardigans cake...Mainly Pablo and Tyrone are his faves.
Now keep in mind I need something simple, because I am JUST starting out (meaning I have only made a couple cakes, and started making my own bc) I plan on using crusting butter cream and possibly fondant accents and such, or maybe all fondant depending on how it turns out when I make it lol.

And it needs to feed 20-25, I would like a stacked cake, but I don't know how hard that will be.

9 replies
lukiesmommy Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:29am
post #2 of 10

I'm intrested in seeing the reponses to this as well... My little guy will be 5 in october. He wants backyardigans too. I need some inspiration too... His favs are Tasha and Austin.

There are some ideas in the photos...

msthang1224 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 10

Hi, I did a backyardigans cake (Unequa) for my grand-niece back in January BUT, the only thing is, I haven't been able to upload any of my pics to the site for months, SORRY.

Maybe i can give you some ideas anyway. I like doing FBCT on most of my cakes because it's easy and fun as well. There are instructions n the articles section here. You can do it with cake or cupcakes. If you want to do a stacked cake, you must make sure that you have support (dowels) for your bottom tier.

Maybe you can do an all buttercream with fbct on top and accent all around the cake (other characters). Or, you can situate the cake around one of your son's favorites episodes. I hope this helps somewhat and good luck icon_smile.gif

marion123 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 10

Hello...My daughter loves the backyardgians... This is what I did for her cake.. It was a vanilla cake w. buttercream frosting and I went to ToyRUs and I bought some Backyardgians toys and I put them on the cake.. It was a big hit and she loved how she was able to keep them!!!

Here is the picture!!!

Harabekah Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 10

Hi! I just started making cakes for my kid's birthdays as well, and found something that i love to do. My process takes 2-3 days to make, only because the icing needs to harden for that long. I would first make the cake just a pan cake and frost it green (using butter cream frosting). Then if you go to hobby lobby or a craft store or wherever they have frosting tips, get the one with all the little holes in it for making grass or hair. It's really easy to use and lots of fun. Anyway, make some grass on your cake wherever you want to, usually i do the edges and then just little patches of grass here and there. Now to really make the cake, make royal icing desings. It's not as hard as I thought it would be, my first one's turned out perfect! Buy color flow icing mix and then follow directions for making the icing. Go online and find coloring book pages of the backyardigans and their tree house. To trace, I used a glass from a small picture frame and taped the picture behind it. Then I took wax paper and taped on top of the glass. You should be able to see the drawing behind the wax paper. Start out with your back ground color and trace the picture making sure all lines connect so icing doesn't leak out. Then you can start to fill in the coloring like you would when coloring. You must make sure the back ground color is dry before coloring. Anyway, when you are all done coloring, let dry for about 2-3 days. Then you take the wax paper off of glass and slide the paper back and forth off the edge of the counter to get the design off. Be careful they are delicate and break easily. Once you have all the pieces off, just before serving the cake, put your decorations on. I know this is long, but it's not too hard to do and it makes the cake look amazing! just follow directions on the color flow can. I would make the tree house and then the two backyardigan characters your son likes. Good luck to you!

the cake whole Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 10

I am doing a Backyardigans themed cake for a birthday on July 26th! It has to feed about 75 people so it will be a big one. I got my idea from one of the episodes and ran it by the client. They loved the idea and gave me complete artistic control!!
Anyhoo I have decided to fashion the cake from the episode with the volcanoe sisters and luau brothers. I have hand sculpted all the characters out of fondant and am working on the accents (ie. flowers, palm trees tiki huts...etc)
The cake will be a large island with the volcanoe off centre. I will than decorate with all the characters and accents. If you are familiar with the cartoon I would use one of his favorite episodes and base the cake around that. I have also seen people match the cake to the invitations, that is if the invites are Backyardigans!! Good look and I look forward to seeing the pics!

mridula Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 10

I made a backyardigans cake for my daughter's birthday last year. It portrayed her favorite episode 'backyardigans pirate adventure'.

lalalo Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 10

you can see my photo

the cake whole Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 10

mridula.... the cake is awesome!!! Nice job! How many people did it feed? I am trying to size my cake right now.

mridula Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 10

After feeding 40 people there was plenty of cake left. It would have easily fed another 25 people.

Quote by @%username% on %date%