Need Advice On Edible Images

Decorating By heathercarnold Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 2:57am by amazinggracecakedesigns

heathercarnold  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathercarnold Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a laptop computer this weekend and took a screen shot of my own desktop and printed it and took it into a Fred Meyers to have it printed as an edible image. I ran into two problems, the colors is awful! Faded, looks like it's slightly crackled (like the paint texture) and blurry. My other problem is they only had 8 1/2 by 11" sheets, I wanted it to be to scale which requires a tabloid size sheet.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should the edible image be clear and have good color? I have little to no experience working with them and am not sure what to expect. I have already invested $10 into this project, I'd appreciate any advice you would have.

4 replies
 sari66  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:31am
post #2 of 5

The image should have been clear if the picture was. I have never made an image on edible paper bigger than the 8x11 so i'm not sure if it comes bigger.

Parable  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:46am
post #3 of 5

I'm not sure how big " tabloid size sheet" is but maybe you could divide it into multiple pieces.

As for the quality of the copy you had made, I agree with sari66, it should look as good as your original. The last time I had a store make an edible image for me it took them 3 tries for their printer to get it right. The lady knew her printer was acting up. She only charged me for the good one though.

heathercarnold  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathercarnold Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:55am
post #4 of 5

dang, I was hoping that wasn't the case! I should have said something before I paid for it.. Has anyone had good luck pasting edible images together? Is the seam really noticeable?
I believe tabloid is the 11" x 17" size..

amazinggracecakedesigns  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:57am
post #5 of 5

I have an edible image machine at home. It is a Canon ip3500 and all of my pictures come out plain. I have found that some of the stores don't have very good quatlity when they try to print the pictures. It should have been plain and not blurry. I have only used the 8x11 also so I am unsure about the tabloid size sheet. Good luck on your next one. Don't let a bad experience keep you from doing edible images. I do them very often & I have also had a bad experience from a copy made at our local Wal-Mart. Also, make sure that you tell your customers that the edible image is extra so that you don't lose money. Keep trying!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%