Ok All You Fondant Experts I Need Your Help!!!!(Long)

Decorating By apetricek Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 2:29am by sugarshack

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 3

Ok so I have an order for the weekend, for a stacked tiffany's box cake. I have to do two boxes. Ok here is where it gets tricky.....the customer doesn't want all fondant, only the bows and ribbon. I want to still give the cake the effect of having lids on them. I don't think I could achieve this with buttercream alone. I was thinking of making fondant lids to put over the top to give them the effect or even make some kind of fake topper covered in fondant to put on top. I also have never covered a square cake with fondant, pleanty of round, no square....I thought I could turn the cake pans that I am using over and put the fondant on them, let them dry and use them? How does that sound? Any ideas or suggestions I would LOVE I could use the help. Sometimes someone will have a great idea that you didn't even think about. Thanks everyone!!!

2 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 3

What about using RBC instead?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:29am
post #3 of 3

here is how i do my 5 panel lids, and I do them on BC iced cakes all the time:

The box tops were made using 5 separate panels. I rolled out the fondant (with Tylose added) on a highly cornstarch dusted plywood and cut the pieces to rough size the day before. I let them dry out on the plywood for 48 hours. The day when I was doing the cake; I covered the square cakes with fondant the regular way. Then I took the dry, firm ( but still fragile) panels I had cut and trimmed them with my exacto knife to fit the exact size I needed to fit the cake tops. I attached them with dabs of melted candy melts. The corners were boosted up (under the top panel) with little gobs of fondant, since square fondant covered
cakes tend to round down and sag just a little). After I was done, any little gaps in the lids I spackled with matching BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%