Making Several Icing Colors

Decorating By kutabby Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 4:32am by beagledog100

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 4

So I made 5 colors for cookies this afternoon. I mixed each color in it's own bowl. As I'm looking at all my dishes, I couldn't help but wonder if there is a better method.
How do you do it? Is there a way to keep the dirty dishes to a minimum?
Thanks!

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 4

Yes. I just did 20 balloon cookies last week. I understand that sometimes the design will be a barrier to doing this ....

I start with primary colors ... red, blue, yellow. All colors start with these 3 colors. Only 3 bowls.

Now I need orange. mix some of the red and yellow together. Not only am I NOT dirtying another bowl, but I'm using up the leftover yellow icing.

I need purple .... Mix some red and blue together. Used all the red up when you made orange? THen just add some red food coloring to the leftover blue icing.

I need green. Mix some of the yellow and blue together. Used up all the yellow icing? Add a drop of yellow to the blue icing.

I'm basically a lazy person, so I tend to find the shortest method possible that requires the least amount of clean up! thumbs_up.gif

I did 20 balloons in 6 colors and only dirtied 3 bowls.

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:24am
post #3 of 4

Oh thank you! I knew I could find another lazy person icon_smile.gif I've got more cookies to do tomorrow, so I will try your method!!
Tabby

beagledog100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beagledog100 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:32am
post #4 of 4

I was just logging on to ask this same question. I am in the first Wilton course and I am taking the course with my nephew so I am in charge of making the buttercream for both of us. I had to make thick, medium and thin consistency to practice in class. Then I had to make red, yellow, green and purple for the rainbow cake. Then I made brown and white frosting for the football cake my nephew is doing. My kitchen looks like a bomb went off.

I know there has to be an easier way!! I am definitely seeing why the professionals charge a lot for their cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%