Narnia Cake Help!!!!!

Decorating By dabear Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm by eatdessert1st

dabear Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 11

I really need some help with ideas for a friend's daughter. She wants a narnia cake. I am cluless and there are only 6 cakes that come up here on cc. The little girl is celebrating her 6th birthday. I don't want to spend a lot of money or time on the design. But I want the design to be nice. Anybody have any great ideas they are willing to share?

10 replies
OCakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 11

What an awesome theme to work with! I am thinking 3D Lion, but maybe that's too much... I did a Google search for "Narnia cake" & found a round cake filled with ice cream, covered in an "ice blue" color & then white "snow" around it & icecycles bordering the top... and the top has a snowy ground scene with the light pole. I couldn't see the image that well.
Narnia is "magical/fantasy", I think you should perform a search via the internet & see what you find. I saw another round cake decorated as a lion head... If you have a stand-up lamb pan (Wilton), you could make one of the "goat or horse people" (don't know what they're called, but the body is the animal with human torso/arms/head)...
OR, one thing that I have ALWAYS wanted, since I was in 4th grade & first read The Lion/Witch/Wardrobe, is some "turkish delight"... that would be a really cool cake! There is not an image that I know of, besides with Edward is served in the movie... it's like a candy, but I think you could make it however you like. Maybe a dark chocolate fudge cake with pieces of fudge on top? or anything yummy. Okay, those are my thoughts, good luck finding your cake design!

OCakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 11

.....I just performed a google search for images of "turkish delight" & there are many varieties. I think if you chose to do this, you could do it however you wanted, but maybe those images would be helpful to you:
.....and I'd love to know what you come up with!

amberhoney Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 11

What about a nice pillow cake (white or ice blue of course with lots of silver accents!) with the White Witches icicle crown sitting on it instead if the usual tiara? It could be surrounded with white cotton candy for snow. You could have the pieces turkish delight scattered around it.

eatdessert1st Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 11

I did 2 narnia cakes. One was based on a Debbie Brown cake (The Snow Queen from her Enchanted Cakes for Children) and the other was Aslan's Pavilion based on another cake decorator's design. (her name is Lori, and I think it's posted on Sugar Buzz but I can't access that site right now.) Lori's turned out beautifully and my copy didn't do it justice but I'll post a pic of it so you can get an idea.
I used the Snow Queen design and just called her the White Witch. She was my 1st modelling figure and my sister, as only a sibling can, said, "She sorta looks like a paraplegic." icon_surprised.gif
Well, she actually did.
We also did Narnia theme cookies as favors.

Mel Mc.

amberhoney Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 11

just found this,

Eatdessert1st I like your cakes, especially the pavilion cake!
The other thought I had was could you make the sleigh the whole cake?

sandygirl Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 11

Or what about the wardrobe. I am sure that there are images of it on the internet. After all it is the portal to Narnia. Or even better, you can do it with the door open where you can see the snow and trees and maybe even the lamp post inside.

Awesome movie, I suggest you watch it if you get a chance.

dabear Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:02am
post #8 of 11

Lots of cool ideas to toss around. Thank-you all so much for your ideas!

Eatdesster1st( i love that, that's always been my motto!) Your cookies are beautiful! I really like your cakes. I like the tent. Would you be willing to share maybe thru a pm, how you did the tent? Is the lion a toy?

I like the wardrobe idea too... hmmm...... the pillow with the ice crown tiara....that would be head is spinning....
Thank-you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

eatdessert1st Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 11

Just found my cake notes. The Pavilion was made from 10" and 9" rounds, stacked. Debbie Brown has a beautiful knight's pavilion in her Enchanted Cakes book that has a 2" size difference. I'd suggest that. Stack and fill cakes. (Use cake boards in between layers and dowel rods for support) Carve the top part (roof) so that it slopes out and down to the base. Crumb coat and cover w/ fondant. I airbrushed the whole thing red at this point..(thought I had a nose bleed by the end of it until I remembered I used red airbrushing icon_wink.gif )
I cut 4 yellow rectangles and placed those from top to bottom around the cake and used royal icing to zig zag stitch them to the red. Cut a black entrance piece for the front. Cut another red rectangle for the overhanging entrance and propped up w/ dowels. Used a lace press, cut to size, for the top part of the Pavilion.
Here are a few google images of the movie tent. I'd do it a bit differently now... I made this a few yrs ago. Aslan was a plastic figure.... you can find them pretty much anywhere.

dabear Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 11

Thank-you! Where on earth did you find those tent images? I've looked ALL morning and found nothing! Thank-you!

eatdessert1st Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 11

I use google and click "images".... lots pop up. Those were 2 of the best, I think.

Melanie Mc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%