Royal Icing Thinning And Storage...

Baking By bsanders12 Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 5:32pm by snowshoe1

bsanders12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsanders12 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 8

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much water it takes to thin royal icing to be a flooding icing. Thank you!

Also If I make the royal icing, [red,black,yellow] how can I store them so then become a deeper color and how long can I store them? Is a couple days ok!

Thank you so much!
icon_wink.gif

7 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:47am
post #2 of 8

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you -- I don't use RI for flooding. I suffer from nervous outlining. icon_lol.gif In the Wilton class we were told enough water mixed in until a knife runs through and the line disappears in 7(?) seconds or so. That's not a very good answer, I know.

I'm giving you a bump so maybe someone will see this and be of more help. icon_biggrin.gif

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:48am
post #3 of 8

Hi,

I hope this makes sense as I explain it... This is how I do it hope it helps you...

First I take the regular RI put it in a small bowl and color it, then I take what I need to pipe the outlining.
After all the cookies are outlined I go back to that batch in the small bowl and add small drops of water at a time, constantly stirrling. Your goal is to get it thin enough so there are no bubbles when it dries. To do this you will do the drip or ribbon test. With my spoon, I pull up a spoonfull and let it fall back into the bowl (causing the ribbon effect). When you do this count to 10. by the count of 10 (10 seconds) it should have it falled back into the bowl smooth with no bubbles. It is thin at this point so I either put it in one of those plastic bottles or if using bags I stand them up in a glass to fill it.

I hope this has helped you. I'm sorry but I'm not sure on the color question. I just store mine in tupperware with a layer of saran wrap on top under the lid.

HTH,

Kim

bsanders12 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 8

thank you that really helps!!!

bsanders12 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 8

thank you that really helps!!!

Afterezra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Afterezra Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 8

I like to store my royal in the cup size Gladware containers. I like to put plastic wrap down so it touches the surface of the icing and then put the lid on. I'm a little OCD, though. Make sure you keep it out of direct sunlight.

I don't keep the icing more than five days, but someone else might know exactly how long.

HTH,
Tara

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 8

I use the same method mgigglin does for thinning RI. If I need a really dark color then I'll sometime tint the RI and after it's dried I'll go over it with a paintbrush and color/vodka mix.

I always put my RI (stiff and thinned) in the center of a sheet of plastic wrap and roll it up in a log type roll and spin the ends. Then when I want to use it I clip one of the ends and stick the tube/roll plastic wrap and all in my piping bag. If the RI is thinned you just have to make sure you work fast on rolling it up. I use this plastic wrap method for my BC also - less mess and clean up on the bags.

I have stored mine in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.

Good luck.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 8

[quote="kyhendry"I always put my RI (stiff and thinned) in the center of a sheet of plastic wrap and roll it up in a log type roll and spin the ends. Then when I want to use it I clip one of the ends and stick the tube/roll plastic wrap and all in my piping bag. If the RI is thinned you just have to make sure you work fast on rolling it up. I use this plastic wrap method for my BC also - less mess and clean up on the bags.
Good luck.[/quote]

Brilliant! Amazing the things that make so much sense but we never think of them. Thanks for sharing (lots of less containers to wash out).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%