Omg, Stephanie Plum Books By Janet Evanovich. I'm Addicted!

Lounge By LaSombra Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 6:18pm by margaretb

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 28

anyone else read this series?

I read the first one a few months back and then finally got around to buying the 2nd one a couple weeks ago. Since then, I've been speeding through the series and just bought 13 and 14 in the store last night. I haven't read like this in years (since I started having kids) but I just can't put these books down. The other night, I was up till 2am to finish my book. icon_smile.gif

I totally don't know if I like Ranger better or Morelli. I love the last few books where you find out a little more about Ranger though... and how many of her cars have been blown up? Oh, and the grandma? hehe, hilarious!

anyway, just curious who else reads these books and loves them as much as me icon_biggrin.gif

27 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 28

I do! My friend got me hooked a couple years ago, and I, in turn hooked both my cousins. We all wait anxiously when a new one comes out. There have been many nights I stayed up until 3 or 4 am (this was before my DS arrived) reading them.

Yeah, I'm split on Ranger vs. Morelli also. icon_smile.gif Seems like Stephanie gets the best of both worlds on that one!

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 28

Oh, I LOVE this series! Just finished 13 last week and can't wait until 14 comes out in paperback. Look for the "Between the Numbers" books too.

PS I'm partial to Ranger, but I'd take either one! icon_wink.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 28

Hubby and I are both addicted. We literally laugh out loud. Hubby even bought me a black Rangeman t-shirt that he ordered online. Yes, I want to see your envy that I have a Rangeman shirt!! icon_lol.gif

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 28

I love these books too. I love how all of her cars and any that she comes within 100 feet of tend to blow up, catch on fire, or have a garbage truck land on them!

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 28

I read several of them to "catch up" when a friend got me hooked. That was a bit much, but now that I get the new one once a year, I love them again.

Another series that you might all like (another smart-mouth amateur) is the Claire Malloy series by Joan Hess.

LaSombra Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:24am
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Hubby and I are both addicted. We literally laugh out loud. Hubby even bought me a black Rangeman t-shirt that he ordered online. Yes, I want to see your envy that I have a Rangeman shirt!! icon_lol.gif

ooh! I might have to look out for one of those rangeman shirts icon_lol.gif *is jealous* icon_biggrin.gif

LaSombra Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:25am
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyhendry

I love these books too. I love how all of her cars and any that she comes within 100 feet of tend to blow up, catch on fire, or have a garbage truck land on them!

LOL yeah...all that and then "Big Blue" comes out of it all unscathed icon_lol.gif

LaSombra Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:43am
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrmom

I read several of them to "catch up" when a friend got me hooked. That was a bit much, but now that I get the new one once a year, I love them again.

Another series that you might all like (another smart-mouth amateur) is the Claire Malloy series by Joan Hess.

Thanks for the recommendation. I might have to check those out next icon_smile.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:02am
post #10 of 28

I Love LOVE LOVE those books!!! Read them all, put the newest one on hold at my local library and I am only 460th in line LOL...........dont know if I will be able to wait my turn. Big Ranger fan!!!

Some of the other series i enjoy (but you wont be in tears laughing like you are in the Stephanie Plum books)

Joanne Fluke (centered around a BAKER with lots of recipes in the books---several I have tried with great sucess)
Jill Churchill (the Jane Jeffry series)
Leslie Meier (Lucy Stone series)
Sue Grafton (Kinsey Milhone series, A is for Alibi, B is for Burglery...etc etc)

tchrmom Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:52am
post #11 of 28

Ditto mkerton's list-- I like ALL those. I haven't tried the recipes, but I keep meaning to.

tracycakes Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerton

Sue Grafton (Kinsey Milhone series, A is for Alibi, B is for Burglery...etc etc)

I LOVE these books also!! I haven't gotten hubby hooked on them yet but when a new one comes out, he always gets it for me and he gets the new Evanovich books also. We have a Barnes and Noble credit card so every time we use our credit card, we get points to use at Barnes and Noble. We also get additional discounts sometimes online so hubby keeps me stocked up. What a sweet man!

mkerton Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 28

tracycakes you do have a sweet one.....since i stopped working (to be a SAHM) I have quit buying books icon_sad.gif now I just try and place holds on all the books i want to read at my local library...have to save money where ever I can (and I am a big reader so I used to spend quite a bit!!).......I also have relatives who love the Janet Evanovich series so sometimes they finish the books they purchase before my hold comes through at the library!

and tchrmom you should try a few of the recipes, in the latest book I read there were even a few cake recipes in there, cant wait to try them!!!

tracycakes Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:48pm
post #14 of 28

We use our credit card for everything (which we pay off monthly icon_biggrin.gif ) and earn so many points, that we get $25 - 50 in gift cards every month so I don't actually pay cash for them. We do read alot and one of the reason we got Barnes and Noble credit card is to get the points. We've probably got $150 in gift cards right now that we haven't used. We are also members of their club so it's another 10% off immediately.

We also go to the used book store alot to find older books when we find a new author we like. That's what we did with these until we got caught up with the series. We traded in a bunch of books and got store credit so that helps too.

I also enjoy reading J.D. Robb *** In Death series about Eve Dallas. They are not funny like Stephanie and Kinsey but she is interesting and her husband is....gosh...every woman's dream!!!

tchrmom Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:12pm
post #15 of 28

I love this thread-- anybody else with suggestions? I'll trry Robb next.

And I do plan to try some recipes from Fluke. Now that you mention it, I think there were some cake ones in the last book. I'll have to check them out again to find out.

More that I like:

Joanne Dobson-- Karen Pelletier, English Professor
Gillian Roberts- Amanda Pepper, English teacher
Jan Burke- Irene _____ (forgot)
Laurien Berenson- Melanie _____ (dog trainer)
Carolyn Hart- Max and Annie Darling, owners of a mystery bookstore

And that's just a few more of the "cozy" series

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:17pm
post #16 of 28

Sort of off topic... but does anyone else LOVE the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella? icon_smile.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #17 of 28

I am a HUGE cozy mystery fan. Go to www.paperbackswap.com if you like to keep your books...it is a free book swap site. You pay postage out when you mail a book to someone, but when you request one from someone you "get the money back", so to speak (since THEY pay postage to YOU). But I digress.

My favorites are:

Joanne Fluke
Joanna Carl (chocolate shop)
Sammi Carter (candy shop)
Diane Mott Davidson (caterer)
Cleo Coyle (coffehouse series)
G A McKevett (plus-size PI)
Denise Swanson
Valerie Wolzien (Susan Henshaw series)
Miranda Bliss (restaurant)

blueskies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueskies Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:45pm
post #18 of 28

Foxymamma, yes, the shopaholic series is great! I also just started reading Elin Hildebrand (sp?) -blue bistro and some others. Very good. My other recent favorites (but a little heavier) are the Philipa Gregory books (the other boylen girl, constant princess etc).

Since it's just a dream I'd go with Ranger - much more mysterious! In real life, it would have to be morelli.

mkerton Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:29pm
post #19 of 28

I am loving this thread, so many authors I havent tried!

tchrmom Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #20 of 28

I agree-- I can't wait to try many of these, and I'll keep posting as I think of more.

sudoku mysteris- can't remember author, but the first ones is The Sudoku Murder.

Jill Churchill is another good author. Can't remember the sleuth.

mkerton Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:52pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrmom

Jill Churchill is another good author. Can't remember the sleuth.

That is the Jane Jeffry series I posted about..... I really like them but its been quite awhile since a new one came out!

tchrmom Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #22 of 28

Yes! Thanks. And it really has been awhile. I wonder what is going on.

Anne George is another good author. It's about some sisters in the south. The author has dies, but there are a number of them in the series.

LaSombra Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:05pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies

Since it's just a dream I'd go with Ranger - much more mysterious! In real life, it would have to be morelli.

ha! Good point. I think I'd have to agree.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 3:34am
post #24 of 28

I LOVE Janet Evanovich's books, all of her books. I keep hoping that they will make a tv series out of them. I can just picture someone like Estelle Getty as the Grandmother, Danny Divito as the bail bondsman, and a few other actors for the other parts. This is the only books that I actually laugh out loud. I have not bought her 14th book, (willpower), but I probably will this weekend. I also read Joann Fluke and Dianne Mott Davidson for the recipe's. I will have to check out the others that were listed here. Great thread.

mkerton Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm
post #25 of 28

I just had to post about a new series that is just being written. A guy I used to work with wife has written the first book in "A bouncing Grandma Mystery" its called the case of the bouncing grandma, the book has not quite been released yet, but should be soon, but A.K. Arenz did a book signing with copies she had at my old workplace, so I had to go get one. Its easy reading and is considered a "cozy" mystery. Anyway I enjoyed it!!

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 10:07pm
post #26 of 28

Some are better than others. "Eight" was hysterically funny - about fell off the couch laughing.

LaSombra Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 10:23pm
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie59

Some are better than others. "Eight" was hysterically funny - about fell off the couch laughing.

yeah, my favorites were the ones between around 6 and 10 icon_smile.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:18pm
post #28 of 28

I love these books too. The characters are a hoot. I liked the metro girl or whatever series that she has started as well.

I am on my library website requesting books from some of the other authors recommended here, so thanks everybody!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%