My Daughter Made Me Cry (Longish)

Decorating By frstech Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 12:51am by frstech

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 11

I have already posted in the past about circumstances in the past year and a half that have happened and having lost my desire to do cakes. Anyhow, I have maybe done 4 cakes in that time and have felt that every one of them have been disasters, as all have been new things from my normal character cakes. Well saturday I decorated my SIL's baby shower cake, I am just really getting into stacking cakes and I hated how this one turned out. (it is in my pics) My 13 year old daughter who hasn't shown much interest in anything I do wanted to help me with the dragonflies and frog made out of royal icing, and though I felt they looked terrible icon_redface.gif I knew we had to use them and she was so proud of helping me. To make a long story short... I was making a comment to my other SIL yesterday that maybe I wasn't meant to do cakes anymore as my heart hasn't been in it and the last few have been disasters, when my daughter came up and said"you can't quit, mom, your cakes are good and you have to teach me how to do it" I just hugged her and cried. icon_cry.gif Just when you think they don't care, they surprise you. So looks like I will get off of my pitty pot and keep doing cakes and have a wonderful helper too!! icon_lol.gif oh yeah, she also told me i better put the pic of it on here or she would be really mad at me icon_wink.gif

10 replies
Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 11

Praise from our kids is the best kind, if you ask me. How wonderful that the two of you can decorate together.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 11

Arn't kids the best. My 9 year old son always knows what to say. I have found this site very inspiring. I also gave up for awile. I'll come to your pity party. Everyone joined my pity party on another forum, so it's the least I can do icon_smile.gif . hang in there, and just have fun decorating with your daughter right now.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 11

How sweet. My 10 year old is my biggest fan. She had to write a mothers day poem about me and she wrote 'my mom is the best at figuring out how to make complicated cakes'. Sure did make my day.

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 11

Never give up if it is something you enjoy. Your cakes are great and in my experience people love cake no matter what thumbs_up.gif We put alot more pressure on ourselves and if you bring a square cake with sprinkles icon_lol.gif people still love the cake. As for your daughter what a great bonding experience this is. At 13 I think you said, I think it is just wonderful that she wants to help here mom....how great! Hopefully there are a few more years for that. I have 2 beautiful daughters of my own 5 and 7 who just think their mommy is the best because I make great cakes icon_rolleyes.gif So now is my time to begin teaching them the ropes. Although my cakes aren't as wonderful as some of the cakes here...with practice they may be, and as long as we have fun and my kids are proud of their mommy this is what makes me happy icon_biggrin.gif So keep on baking thumbs_up.gif

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 11

My 12 year old daughter is my best critic. If it looks like crap she will be totally honest with me and tell me, I love that about her, she's tells me what she thinks good or bad.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 11

That is so sweet! Just when you needed a pick-me-up. icon_smile.gif

frstech Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 11

Yeah, my girl is tough but sweet, she has said and done things everyonce in a while in the past 1 1/2 years that have bl own me away and always when I think she doesn't need me anymore.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 11

My daughter has made me cry before also. She is four years old and I was working on a cake late one night and she woke up and asked what I was doing. I told her I was working and I was stuck. I didnt know what to put on the cake and I wanted to cry. She said lets check to see what is in your cake box. She found some flower cut outs and said how about this. I rolled out the fondant, and she cut out all the shapes for me. I was so happy. She helped put the shapes on the cakes for me. She even cleaned the table up for why while I was washing dishes. I came back in the room and she had everything cleaned up. She stands there with her hands on her hips, looks at the cake and says Daddy is going to be so proud of us and he is going to say its sooo nice. Its the two cakes in my gallery with the ballet shoes and music notes and the one with the flower cutouts. I was so proud of her. Everytime she sees those pictures she says "Oh mommy look at the cakes we made" Now thats my girl! She loves to cook and askes me all the time how I made something. I love that little girl!

donnalane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnalane Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:18am
post #10 of 11

I don't know if i'm just having an emotional day or what but you ladies have me in tears right now after reading your posts. I don't have a daughter but have 2 teenage sons who could care less about my cakes. I have been feeling the same way frstech as you, ssems like every cake is just a battle and one that I have been getting tired of, however I know I can't give up I love doing cakes but some days are just the pits.

I did a baby shower cake over the weekend and it seemed like anything and everything went wrong, then my hubby gets out of bed walks in and says your aren't going to leave the sides of that cake looking like that are you? That just put me over the edge. So I fixed it and moved on. I attended the baby shower it was for my sister, she has a 7 yr old son who yelled for me to come here, so I did he says aunt donna that cake you made for mommy is a master piece and there is no one in the world who can make cakes like you do. I'll tell you that was what I needed to hear at that moment and it just melted my heart. Thank God for children they are the greatest. I loved reading all your stories they are so uplifting.

Donna

frstech Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:51am
post #11 of 11

Just goes to show that our kids are the our best critics

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%