Silver Dungrees

Decorating By sarahpierce Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 4:05pm by sarahpierce

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 5

You know those silver BB's? Are they edible? They say on th package they're not, but I see them on cakes all the time. I would like to use them, but I am unsure. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

4 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 5

The dragees are not considered edible in the U.S. and some state ban the sale/shipment of them (CA in particular). But in other countries (I think I saw a post recently from someone in Australia), people do eat them and they are even commonly found in grocery stores.

I've eaten a few with no negative consequences. icon_smile.gif If you are going to use them, you could mention that it might be best to not eat them but that they are not toxic. This link is helpful:

http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/CAKE_SHOPPE/Sugars/Dragees/dragees.htm

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 5

Good lord, I must have eaten my own body weight in those things over the last 37 years, and I'm still here to tell the tale, perfectly healthy, thank you! These posts always make me chuckle! They aren't considered dangerous in Europe (where I live and am from).

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Good lord, I must have eaten my own body weight in those things over the last 37 years, and I'm still here to tell the tale, perfectly healthy, thank you! These posts always make me chuckle! They aren't considered dangerous in Europe (where I live and am from).

Lol! icon_lol.gif Bonjovibabe! I was just thinking the same thing, when I was a kid my mum always put tons of those silver balls on my Bday cakes and I've crunched my way through loads! I even crunch on a few now when I'm decorating with them just for the sake of it! (I'm one those people who just has to eat something if it's there icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif ) They're a bit tough on the ol' teeth but perfectly edible if you ask me! icon_biggrin.gif

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you.I live in WI, and I can buy them at my local wholesale bake shop. I always ate them too and I turned out fine (twitch twitch) lol. I would just hate for the DJ to make an anoucment over the microphone at the wedding, "Excuse me ladies and gentlemen, please do not eat the little silver things on your cupcakes. They are toxic, and will kill you, but they sure look pretty. Enjoy your evening, and there is a medic in the back if anyone should keel over." icon_lol.gif

Sorry about the spelling of them, I knew it was something like that. We just always called them BB's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%