Recipe Advice Needed For Shaped Cake

Decorating By scoobydid Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm by 7yyrt

scoobydid Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 3

I would like to make a white cake with a lemon filling in the shape of a covered wagon (the Once-ler wagon from Dr. Seuss' Lorax). This cake is for 20-25 guests at a baby shower. I have some ideas of how to go about the lemon filling thanks to ShayShay and other posts. I'm wondering if the White Almond Sour Cream cake recipe will be a good choice for the cake. I'm thinking I need to fill, chill then carve. I was thinking of using a 12" X 18" pan and cut that into thirds. Will this be enough cake? Do I need to go bigger? How would you support this? Just dowel all the layers together or do I need some cardboard support in there somewhere? The wheels are going to be fondant and I'm thinking of setting it on a slightly smaller block of styrofoam to make the wheels look more accurate. The Lorax will be made from fondant as perhaps a few of those truffula trees, chopped down. I think I will do the wagon in BC. Thoughts and suggestions please as I consider myself to be in the amateur category. Thank you!

2 replies
nutcase68 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 3

Funny, I don't remember the wagon, but kinda remember the trees out of that book. I sold it on eBay.
You will have more than enough cake for your 20 people. Do everything you said, including the foil covered cardboards. If you cover them then your cake won't taste like cardboard. Put your dowels in to support the weight. After it is all together sharpen a dowel or two long enough to go thru the entire cake and use a hammer and lightly hammer it thru your cardboard. This will keep it from falling over. Have these just below the surface of the cake.
Freeze your cake and carve it. You do not have to let it get rock hard. It is easier to carve frozen cake. Brush off all of your crumbs from all around your cake. You did not say if you were covering this in fondant, just that the wheels were fondant. Now is when you either frost or crumb coat and put on your fondant. You could also use donuts for the wheels. Oh darn, that leaves 8 donuts to be eaten. Hmmmm.
Make sure you leave your stuff pleanty of time to dry, like your wheels. They will need at least a week or more, depending on how thick they are. I already made that mistake on drying times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%