How Do I Make A Tiered Cake?

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 4:26pm by alvarezmom

alvarezmom Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 4

I've been searching the web for instructions on how to make a tiered cake. I get that it has to have support so it doesnt cave in. How ever here is my is the website that I found

So on one of the steps it says to insert the dowel rods and then mark them. Then take them out and cut the dowel rods to the right height. Here is my question. Am I cutting the dowel rods the exact height of the cake or do I cut a little above the line? Do I cut holes in the cake board on the 2nd tier (middle since it will be a small 3 tiered cake)? Or is the cake board just sitting on top of the rods?

2nd I ice the cakes seperate or do I ice them when I have them all stacked?

3 replies
Shola Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 4

Cut the dowels to the exact height of the cake so when you put the second tier on it lays flush against the top of the first tier, all nice and neat! icon_smile.gif Do the same for the third tier no holes. You can add a support dowel all the way through the cake and you would need holes in the center of the boards but I'm not sure you would need it for a small 3 tier? icon_confused.gif
I think the best way is to ice and decorate separatly then stack but you could do either.
HTH's icon_smile.gif

JennaK Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 4

I had a similar question a few months back and some of the amazing fellow CCer's sent me to this website. It's a super clear explanation of everything you need to know.
Hope that helps!

alvarezmom Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the answers!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%