My Son Wants Canned Frosting For His B-Day Cake!

Decorating By floophs Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 3:35pm by floophs

floophs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floophs Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 5

I've only taken Wilton 1 and it's been a while since I took the course. I've been admiring all the beautiful cakes on CC for the past year and I decided yesterday that I need to stop "looking/reading" and start "doing". So I made a cake yesterday and decorated it. No one liked the buttercream! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif They scraped off their frosting and said it was too sweet. It's frosting for cryin' out loud...it's supposed to be sweet!

Then my son told me he just wanted canned frosting on his cake for his upcoming b-day. Canned frosting...I can't do anything fun with that! There's no skill in using canned frosting!

I guess this is why I never make/practice cakes...no one in my family has ever liked the BC. (I really haven't been fond of it myself.) When I made my cakes for the Wilton class, they usually got tossed because no one liked the BC. I've tried 3-4 different BC recipes from CC and still...no luck. Can anyone give me advice? My kids love the buttercream that you get at the grocery store but I was hoping to make my own. The whole thing kind of makes me feel a little blue...I just want to make fabulous tasting cakes.

4 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 5

LOL I feel your pain. My little one last year saw a cake at the store and said THAT is the one I want for my birthday!! I was like WHAT!!!! icon_eek.gif
But I got it for her. Figured it was only one birthday out of many. SHe was turning 5 what does she know anyway??!! LOL

What if you iced in the canned frosting and decorating with the other?
Also, do you add any salt to your buttercream? Seems to help mine when I add a pinch or two to the water then pour into the rest of the ingredients

Hang in there!
Charlotte

floophs Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Charlotte, I have used salt in my BC. I also use salted butter (when I've used butter).

Here's the thing...I just bought the Wilton 3D cupcake and was planning on using that for his cake. Maybe I'm not thinking outside of the box but I kind of think it needs to be all BC or all canned frosting.

I guess I'm just feeling blue in the fact that none of my family members (including me) have liked the BC recipes I have tried. I would love to try to make some fun cakes but I don't want to go through all of the effort if they're just going to scrape it off, ya know. My DH actually told me last night that my frosting wasn't BC but "sugar cream". Of all the nerve! icon_mad.gif He's expecting that light, fluffy stuff from the grocery store and I have no clue how to make that.

Maybe I need to learn how to make and decorate with fondant. icon_wink.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 5

If they like bakery icing you can try www.dixiesicing.com

I ordered a sample pack and it's really tasty!

floophs Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 5

I've seen on these forums before that either Sams or Costco sells their BC (can't remember which one it is)...does theirs taste like grocery store "whipped" icing? It would be so much easier to get that than it would be to order it online.

Also, the whipped icing that is sold at grocery store bakeries...does it crust?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%