Michele Foster's Fondant

Decorating By bobbied Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 5:35am by Sugarflowers

bobbied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobbied Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 7

A question, please. I made Michele Foster's delicious fondant last night (have made it before and loved it) but I noticed this morning the unopened bottle of glycerin on the kitchen counter. Arghh! icon_surprised.gif
Is it OK to use?? Should I try to add it now??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bobbie

6 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 7

I've just made a batch without any glycerine too! icon_biggrin.gif I sub'ed 1 1/2 tbs of vegetable oil though, will have to wait till tomorrow to see! From what I've read from other CC'ers it should be ok but a little bit more difficult to work with, not as 'stretchy'.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 7

Hope I"m not too late with my answer. If nothing has fallen into the bottle you may use it .That is , if a long period of time hasn't ellapsed.Check that it is clear as it should be.
HTH

bobbied Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks, Shola. Maybe I'll work in some shortening when I color it. Its going to be used for figures and a bow, so maybe the flexibility is not so much of an issue.
Omicake, I guess my post was not very clear. I omitted the glycerin when I made up the batch of fondant. Didn't notice any difference when I was mixing it up.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 7

Re-read your post and it was me that misunderstood that you meant otherwise. It happens sometimes , more than I'd like, LOL , as I like to be of help and my English doesn't help me much, as it isn't my native language. Sorry!

bobbied Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 7

Oh, that's OK, Omicake. By the way, love your birdie avatar!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:35am
post #7 of 7

Try cutting the batch into fourths and then kneading in small amounts of glycerin to soften it. Once you have all four pieces done knead it all together to make an evenly consistent batch. Don't knead in any powdered sugar. Knead on heavy plastic or non-stick may that has a thin layer of shortening on it.

If this doesn't fix the batch then mix it with a good batch. This works really well.

HTH

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%